Unleashed Voice of the Redbank Valley Bulldogs ~ New Bethlehem, PA

• Courage- it is moving forward when you don’t have the strength.~ Napoleon

• Please help beef up the blood supply Thursday April 27 from 9-2:30 in the aux. gym.

• April 28th is final prom sign-ups in room 118!

FIRST Robotics Competition

Kylie Drayer, Contributor

The  RVHS Robotics Team had a very good outcome at this past weekend’s competition at California University. The team made it to the quarterfinals seeded as #8 of 8 competing alliances. Their robot was ranked 25 of of 39 at the end of the qualifying matches, but it was selected to compete with a higher ranking team. During the last qualifying match, the robot climbed up a rope in the last 30 seconds of the match and as the buzzer sounded to signal time’s up, the rope snapped and the robot fell 4 or 5 feet to the ground.  

Recently, I was able to talk to two of the seniors on the robotics team to learn more about what robotics really is. When asked about how the students prepare for the competitions, Ryan Moore said “Preparation for competition requires quite a lot attention from many different angles. There’s the robot itself – planning, building, programming, and troubleshooting.   Members of the team had to be streamlined, efficient, and adaptive to change. From the human-relations side of of the competition, we needed to design buttons to hand out, generate funds for a price tag of around $5000.00, and advertise and promote the RVHS FIRST Robotics Competition (FRC) program.”

Ryan also told us that his favorite part about robotics is the underlying comradery when you get to the competition. He also said that he enjoys the family-like bonds that they create with the other teams at the competitions, and seeing how well the teams work together even though they are competing against one another.

Another senior on the team, Logan Markle, said that his favorite part about robotics is how everyone on the team has something they particularly like about robotics. Logan’s favorite part of robotics is trying to overcome challenges in the building process. 

Congratulations to our robotics team!