• Junior High Choir will meet in the choir room today.

• Student Activity Fees are due before you participate in the first regular season game/activity.

• Attention Seniors, if you did not fill out the Student EdCamp sign up on Friday then you need to see Mrs. Ripple or Dr. Harmon ASAP.

Let’s Get Serious About School

Nikki Shreckengost, Staff Writer

College tours, senior skip days, and senior pictures! Senior year can be amazing–that is, only if you are prepared.

It’s eighth grade, you schedule for your freshman year and select all academic classes. The beginning of your freshman year is exciting.  You try your hardest, but it can go one of two ways:  you love your classes and you continue to succeed, or you feel it’s too much work. Your sophomore year rolls around, and you drop some academic classes and add some applied. It’s a little easier, and you decide you are going to take all applied courses your junior year and take the easy way out. By your senior year, you find yourself in all applied classes with a low GPA and nothing but worry for your future college goals.

Senior year is for college applications, resumes and cover letters. You now realize that you have nothing academic to add to this all-important paperwork–the paperwork that could determine your future! If only you could reverse time and restart your whole high school career.

Starting high school off with the motivation to do well is very important.  Take it from someone who never had the motivation to do well in school until senior year. Looking back, I wish I could change my perspective on school. High school does determine where you will go in life. To get into a good college, you usually need to have good grades and extra-curricular activities in high school.  Even though I had my epiphany about the importance of high school a little late, I will not give up. This is a heads up to all the underclassmen, pick your classes wisely and DON’T procrastinate.

Here are some helpful advice to help you throughout your high school career:

1. It’s never too late to get serious about school.  Don’t let your previous years of slack bring you to a point of no return.
  2. Grades aren’t the only thing colleges look at. They look at SAT and ACT test scores, extra-curricular activities, volunteer hours, and community involvement. By getting a high score on your SAT/ACT tests, you can show that you have the ability to do well, even if you haven’t lived up to it the past few years. Get studying!
  3. College isn’t for everyone.  Even though you’ve been told a million times, “You have to go to college to get a good job,” it’s not true.  For example, you can work at the railroad with no prior schooling or  take a nursing job that comes with on-the-job training.  Just because you don’t go to college, does not mean you can’t find a dependable job.
  4. If no career interests you, but you are determined to go to college, many universities will allow you to take basic, required courses your first semester. In the meantime, you can explore options and even take introductory classes in majors that interest you. By doing so, you can be sure that you are not wasting time and money on a major that you mistakenly thought was your calling.
  5. Utilizing the programs and equipment at your school is not only important to you, but important to your school. The Guidance Office offers many useful tools, and Mrs. Boozer and Mrs. Switzer have a proven advice and information to offer. I have made many visits to the guidance office with different questions, and I have never left without an answer. College is expensive and getting as much help as you can is a smart choice. The Career Room offers many different scholarship opportunities.
  6. Campus tours are a must if you want to be sure you’re choosing the right school. When you visit a school, you get a taste of what it’s like on campus on a daily basis. Everyone looks for different characteristics in a college–some look for small classes, and some want to feel at home. Visiting a college gives you the ability to decide for sure whether or not you would enjoy living the next 2-4 years of your life at that particular university.

Nikki Shreckengost, Writer

Erin Kunselman

Nikki is a senior and founding member of the Redbank Valley Online Newspaper. In her free time, she enjoys writing poetry, drawing,...