Spring Sports Preview: Varsity Baseball

Kylie Drayer, Contributor

Practices for spring sports have officially started! The teams at Redbank are expecting to have great seasons this year. Check out the Q & A with Mr. Hibell to learn about his expectations for the upcoming season:

Who are the coaches this year?

The head coach is Craig Hibell and the assistant coaches are Blane Gold, Mac Minich, and Ryan Radaker.

Who are the captains for the upcoming season?

The captains for this year have not been voted on yet. We plan to figure that out during the second week of practice. I do, however, predict that our leaders to this team will be senior Scott Toth and junior Bryan Layton.

What are your expectations for the upcoming season?

Our goal each year is to get into the playoffs. So we want to win more than half of our games so that we can get into the playoffs. Our playoff bracket is weak this year compared to years past so our ultimate goal would be to reach the District 9 championship game.

Do you have any standout players this year?

Senior Scott Toth is our catcher who has started for the past two seasons. Junior Grayson Harman has been one of the better first basemen in the KSAC his first two years, and also one of the best left handed pitchers in the KSAC. Bryan Layton has been our best pitcher his first two years on the varsity team and will also be a strong presence in the batting order. Blaney Brooks and Nick Smith are going to be expected to make improvements from their freshmen years to be major parts of our varsity team. Cameron Travis will be asked to take on a more important role after being a contributor during his first two years in varsity.
Good luck to our varsity baseball team this season!