Unleashed Voice of the Redbank Valley Bulldogs ~ New Bethlehem, PA

• Courage- it is moving forward when you don’t have the strength.~ Napoleon

• Please help beef up the blood supply Thursday April 27 from 9-2:30 in the aux. gym.

• April 28th is final prom sign-ups in room 118!

Spring Sports Preview: Track

Kiley Minnick, Contributor

The 2017 track season is underway at Redbank.  For the 2017 track season the senior captains are Marissa Hageter, Katlynn Traister, Jared Kespelher and Colten Mohney.  The coaches of the track team are Mr. Rex and Mrs. Harmon.  I asked the coaches some questions about the upcoming season.

Q: What are your goals/expectations for this track season?

A: Each and every year we set both team goals and individuals goals because both are factors in Track & Field.  Our team goals are to win the KSAC title and make a strong charge at the D9 team title.  Individual goals are often set by the athletes themselves and the coaches will act as the support by which to get to those goals. The staff has also set very high expectations and our student-athletes have always responded to meeting those standards.

Q: Do you have any standout players on the team?

A: Regarding some of our standouts from last season, we bring back a handful that will once again, make a charge for that trip to the PIAA Championships.  You can expect to see several names at the top of the list, but leading the way on the track will be Senior, Jared Kespelher.  Already holding part of the school record in the 4 x 400 relay, Jared will have other strong performances in the sprints and mid distance.  Also returning on the track is Keaton Kahle and Colten Mohney, and you can expect them to standout in the sprints and jumps.  We expect big performances from Chase Wiles again the in hurdles and our group of distance runners will not disappoint, lead by Eli Carlson, Logan Markle, Ryan Moore, and Jeremy Troup.  Leading the way in the throws will be Junior, Clint Thurston.  Expect him to be a freak in the shot and discus rings this year as he is set for a break out season.  Keaton Kahle will provide some support in the discus, as he coming off being the only freshmen to qualify at the district meet last year in the throws.  Bracken Scott and Nathan Roy are also on track for some big throws in the shot put and javelin, respectively.

Q: What are your chances of making it to districts or states? Who do you expect to make it?

A: We have a lot of experience and several first timers on this team.  We expect several D9 qualifiers and a handful of them have a great chance of making the state qualifying marks.  Clint and Jared probably pose the biggest threat, at this point, for that exclusive trip to states, but it will not come without a battle and some very strong performances.