Unleashed Voice of the Redbank Valley Bulldogs ~ New Bethlehem, PA

• Courage- it is moving forward when you don’t have the strength.~ Napoleon

• Please help beef up the blood supply Thursday April 27 from 9-2:30 in the aux. gym.

• April 28th is final prom sign-ups in room 118!

Course Feature: Methods of Cookery

Kylie Drayer, Contributor

Class scheduling for the next school year has officially started. In addition to all of the new electives being offered next year, Methods of Cookery will still be offered. Mrs. Orange, the Family Consumer Sciences teacher, talks about Methods of Cookery in the Q & A below.

What is the purpose of this class?

Students learn about various topics including grains, proteins, dairy, fruits and vegetables.  They learn to cook various dishes within each of the categories.  All of these are included in My Plate, the FDA nutritional guidelines that they  learn in Foods and You.  Foods and You is a prerequisite.  In Methods of Cookery, students use a variety of methods to prepare foods in kitchen labs.

What kind of assignments and projects do students in the class have to complete?

Students complete class assignments that correlate with each topic covered.  They complete a final project which is Global Foods.  Students relate geographic location to cuisines around the world.  They identify ingredients, customs and shopping for food in dishes around the world.  They describe and prepare dishes from around the world once they have chosen their country.

Do you have plans to add any new projects or assignments to the class later on?

I’m always looking for new projects and assignments to feature in the course in the upcoming year.  Students will give me input into what they enjoy and what they want to learn more about and I try to feature those areas in the upcoming year.  I try to incorporate assignments and projects based on students’ needs and interests.

What is your favorite part of the class?

It’s always exciting to see students choose a country to study and prepare food from that country and share with their peers.  They have the skills from Foods and You and Methods of Cookery to really advance and prepare great dishes.  It makes me so happy to see them excited to share.

I also enjoy seeing how much they have learned through the two courses to really become knowledgeable in the kitchen.  I strongly believe that the skills they learn help them to attempt many great dishes.

I recently  stood alongside one of my former students in line at the grocery store as she was purchasing ingredients for a new dish.  She handed me the recipe she was trying and shared her excitement.   I was so proud!  It brought tears to my eyes.

Nothing says love like a homemade meal.  After all, isn’t that what life entails–cooking for those we love; cooking for those who are hurting; and cooking for those whom we care about so deeply?  I have a tea towel that says it so well,  “Heal the world.  Cook dinner tonight”.

Thanks to Mrs. Orange for the overview of Methods of Cookery!