• Varsity Baseball will hold open gyms every Monday in January from 7pm-9. 7th & 8th graders are welcome to attend as well.

• Marching Band attending the laser tag and bowling trip-the bus leaves at 5pm on Friday. We will return around 11pm.

• Literature PBA for A DAY students will begin Wednesday, January 24th in computer lab 131.

February Showcase

Kylie Drayer, Contributor

The theme for the main lobby showcase in February is Heart Disease Awareness. The showcase was designed by the 8th grade homerooms. To become more aware about heart disease, check out the article below:

According to www.theheartfoundation.org, heart disease isn’t actually just one disease- this term is used to group together many different diseases of the heart. Some examples include congenital heart defects and arrhythmia, but the term mostly refers to coronary artery disease which is when plaque builds up inside the coronary artery. The coronary artery is what supplies oxygen and blood to your heart.

February is National Heart Health Month. Heart disease is the number one cause of death for men and women in the United States. Although it is the number one cause of death for both, it has a greater effect on women. More women than men have died from heart disease since 1984. In addition, 43 million women are affected by the disease in the United States and it is responsible for every one in three women’s deaths. Also, ninety percent of all women have one or more of the risk factors for the disease. It is also the leading cause of death for most ethnic groups. The symptoms are usually different in men and women. In 2011, heart disease claimed the lives of about 787,000 people, but it is now estimated to be closer to one million deaths per year. Coronary artery disease is the most common type of heart disease which kills about 380,000 people annually. In the United States, someone dies from a heart disease related emergency every single minute.

With just a few minor changes to your lifestyle, you can reduce your risk of heart disease. Some examples of those changes include: exercising for 30 minutes a day for five days a week; making sure your diet is low in salt, saturated fats, trans fats, and high in unsaturated fats; maintaining a normal body weight; taking fish oil supplements; and not smoking.