• All 7th and 8th grade girls who are interested in playing Jr High volleyball please sign up in the cafeteria.

• Anyone interested in participating in Jazz Band this year please see Mr. Terwilliger

• Bible Club clothing may be picked up in Dr. Harmon's room.

Course Feature: Accounting

Kiley Minnick, Contributor

Scheduling for next school year  has begun, and students making selections for electives may not know all the great options available to them.  In our series “Course Features”  The Bark hopes to give an in-depth look at some of these electives from the course instructors. Look for all our articles in this series under the “Features” section of our home page.

Accounting is taught by Mrs. Dinger, and she elaborates on the course purpose and more through a recent Q & A.

What is the purpose of this class?

Accounting is an information science used to collect, classify, and manipulate financial data for organizations and individuals.

Accounting is instrumental within organizations as means of determining financial stability. Accountants are responsible for determining an organization’s overall wealth, profitability, and liquidity. Without accounting, organizations would have no basis or foundation upon which daily and long-term decisions could be made. The budgets for marketing activities, profit reinvestment, research and development, and company growth all stem from the work of accountants. Accounting is one of the oldest and most respected professions in the world, and accountants can be found in every industry from entertainment to medicine. It one of the most necessary lines of work on the planet.

What made you want to teach this class?

While attending  high school, I took an accounting class.  Being able to keep track of money was fascinating to me. As one of my many part-time jobs, I worked for a CPA and grew further interested in being able to teach this skill.

There’s one degree that gives you the education to succeed at just about anything in the business world. It’s an accounting degree. Accounting opens doors in every kind of business coast to coast. It can give you the foundation you need to go on and become a CPA. It can prepare you to become a partner in an accounting firm, to pursue a career in finance or corporate management, to work in government, or even to become an entrepreneur. In fact, no matter what you decide to do, having an accounting background can open doors wide.”

The reason accounting may be the best route to a successful business career is because accounting has always been considered as the language and basic tool of business. It has always concerned itself with determining how a business is doing and what is the bottom line. But over the last two decades, the field of accounting has been changing dramatically in response to such explosive trends as the computer revolution, increased government regulations, frequent tax law changes, the globalization of business, and the on-going downsizing and restructuring of corporations. In this increasingly complex and competitive business environment, accounting skills are very much in demand and accounting has become a dynamic career. Accountants assume the more prestigious role of financial experts, system professionals, management consultants, budget analysts, etc.. The demand for accountants appears to be growing and outstripping supply. Job opportunities in today’s business climate is better than ever for accountants.

What kind of assignments and projects do students in the class have to complete?

In class we start with the very basics of accounting and build upon this knowledge.  A workbook accompanies the textbook used in this course.  With each chapter, more skills are involved in taking care of the financial records of a small business.  There are mini simulations that create a realistic component to problems as they would occur in a real business.

Do you have plans to add any new projects or assignments to the class later on?

Currently I am looking for a computer program that will help develop skills for students to make them more employable after graduating high school or to further their education in a post-graduate institution.

What is your favorite part of the class?

When students are actually beginning to see how businesses operate and understanding how it all fits together.