Regional and District Chorus

Kylie Drayer, Contributor

Check out the interview with Mrs. McIntire to learn about District and Regional Chorus:

What is District Chorus?

A small group of students who are enrolled in chorus and are in grades 10-12 are chosen to participate in the District Chorus Festival.  This festival is a part of PMEA (Pennsylvania Music Educators Association) District 3.

There are approximately 35 schools that attend this festival, from the following counties:  Venango, Clarion, Indiana, Jefferson, and Armstrong.    There are a total of 160+ students that participate.  

The students prepare music between being chosen (late October) and the festival itself (in January or February).   Once they arrive at the festival, each student must audition for Region Chorus.  The audition consists of singing a couple of pages of a song acappella (without piano accompaniment).  Students must sing the proper pitches, rhythms, dynamics, and more for two songs.  Students do not know what the audition will be until they arrive at the festival.

There are approximately 20 students in each section (Alto 1, Alto 2 Soprano 1, Soprano 2, Tenor 1, Tenor 2, Bass 1, Bass 2). To qualify for the PMEA Region II Choral Festival, students must be in the top 10 chairs after auditions.

For the remainder of the festival, the group will rehearse the songs for a concert that will end the festival.  This year’s concert was on Friday, January 13, at Marion Center High School.  

Did any students move on to Regional Chorus?

Brandon Shaffer (8th chair in Bass 1) and Madeline Marshall (7th chair in Alto 1)  have qualified.  It will be held in Freeport February 23-25.  

What happens at Regionals?

Regions is run in pretty much the same fashion as the District Festival.  The differences are as follows:  Only the top 4 chairs out of 20 will be taken to the next level, which is  PMEA All-State Festival  held in Erie in March.  Schools participating range from Indiana and up to Erie.

Congratulations to all of the students who made it to Regions and Districts!