• Varsity Baseball will hold open gyms every Monday in January from 7pm-9. 7th & 8th graders are welcome to attend as well.

• Marching Band attending the laser tag and bowling trip-the bus leaves at 5pm on Friday. We will return around 11pm.

• Literature PBA for A DAY students will begin Wednesday, January 24th in computer lab 131.

Book of the Month- January

Samantha Neiswonger, Contributor

Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children is currently a popular book. The book is about an abandoned orphanage and how a strange collection of curious photographs leads a teenager to investigate and discover the orphanages history and secrets.

A horrific family tragedy sets sixteen-year-old Jacob journeying to a remote island off the coast of Wales, where he discovers the crumbling ruins of Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children. He has always had an ordinary life until everything went wrong–or perhaps just right.   Jacob discovers the truth about himself.

When Jake finds clues to a mystery that spans alternate realities and times, he uncovers a secret refuge known as Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children. As he learns about the residents and their unusual abilities, Jake realizes that safety is an illusion, and danger lurks in the form of powerful, hidden enemies. Jake must figure out who is real, who can be trusted, and who he really is. 

This amazing, strange thriller, written by American author Ransom Riggs and published in 2011, came out as a movie in 2016. IMBd, the Internet Movie Database and subsidiary of Amazon,  gave this movie  3 1/2  out of 5 stars. The book, though, gives the best chills and thrills of what exactly will happen to Jacob in the story.  John Green, author of The Fault in Our Stars, says Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children is “…a tense, moving, and wondrously strange first novel. The photographs and text work together brilliantly to create an unforgettable story.”

The book is classified as dark fantasy and young adult fiction.  If you are looking for a book for AR points or to read during study hall, this is an excellent choice. It is in our high school library ready to be checked out. If you really think you want to read the series, there are three books:   Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children, Hollow City, and Library of Souls.