Course Feature — Basic Electric

Lacey LaBorde, Contributor

Did you know that Basic Electric even existed? If you are thinking you may be interested, this interview with Mr. Provance will answer some of the questions you may have before joining the class.

What is the purpose of this class?

The purpose of this course is to explore and study the basics of electronics.  We look at the theory behind modern day electronics. We study how circuits work, the laws within electronics, different components that make up our electronics, and how to solder and create circuit boards. We learn a lot of the theory early on in the class then switch to a more hands-on approach to reinforce the theoretical knowledge that was gained.  The end result and overall purpose of the class would be for the students to learn how our modern day electronics work and also how to fix them and even create some of their own.

What made you want to start this class?

The class was already established within the curriculum for the department when I began teaching here, but was split between learning about electricity and house wiring for one nine weeks and electronics for the second nine weeks. I taught the course that way for a number of years, and just recently, Mr. Bundy and I decided to split the course content up into two different classes. He absorbed the house wiring content as one of the units of study for his new home maintenance course, and I focused on just electronics.  We both thought that this would be best for each respective class.  Electronics and electronic technology plays an ever increasing role in our daily lives and it makes sense to have a course that focuses solely on electronics.  The house wiring activities also fit very well with what he wanted to teach in the home maintenance class since he teaches how to frame out walls how to install and repair drywall; this was a natural fit for course content.

What kind of assignments and projects do students in the class have to complete?

The class is set up in three units that all run for roughly 6 weeks each. The first unit is on Electronic Theory, the second unit utilizes the Ed Lab trainer, and the third unit is all about the circuit board.  The first unit on electronic theory is all on theory.  So we learn the basics and the theory behind electronics this part of the class is mainly lecture with some accompanying handouts and worksheets.  The second unit utilizes the Ed- Lab Trainer.  The trainer has a workbook with it and teaches a little more theory, but then also has a number of hands-on activities and experiments for each lesson that helps to reinforce the theory that is being taught.  Students are able to set up different circuits on the trainer to learn about different electronic concepts.  The third unit within the class is on the circuit board.  During this unit students will learn how to assemble and repair a number of different circuit boards.

Do you have plans to add any new projects or assignments to the class later on?

Yes, I always have plans to add to the course.  When teaching about technology you always have to remain flexible in what you teach and be willing to make changes when needed. Technology is always changing and evolving and in order to keep up with it’s changes it is important to remain flexible and be willing to change the course in order to reflect the changes in technology.  One aspect that has been rapidly growing and changing within the realm of electronic technology is that of 3-D printing. In the future I would like to be able to incorporate some 3-D printing curriculum within this class.  I feel that 3-D printing is an incredible technology that has been taking the manufacturing world by storm, and I would like to be able educate students in this very exciting field of technology one day.