• Varsity Baseball will hold open gyms every Monday in January from 7pm-9. 7th & 8th graders are welcome to attend as well.

• Marching Band attending the laser tag and bowling trip-the bus leaves at 5pm on Friday. We will return around 11pm.

• Literature PBA for A DAY students will begin Wednesday, January 24th in computer lab 131.

10 Interesting Facts About Christmas

Lacey LaBorde, Contributor

1.) The song “White Christmas” by Irving Berlin is the best selling single in history; it sold over 100 million copies.

2.) The Germans made the first artificial Christmas trees out of dyed goose feathers.

3.) The traditional three colors of Christmas are green, red, and gold. Green is a symbol of life and rebirth; red symbolizes the blood of Christ; and gold represents light, as well as wealth and royalty.

4.) Christmas wasn’t declared an official holiday in the United States until June 26, 1870.

5.)Dutch children also left out food and drink for St. Nicholas himself to honor him on his feast day. Today we leave milk and cookies out for Santa, continuing this very old tradition.

6.) Want to know a useful way to recycle your Christmas tree? Some zoos take donated Christmas trees and use them as food for the animals.

7.) Once a Christmas tree is harvested, two to three are planted in its place because it takes many years for the trees to be fully grown before they can be harvested.

8.) Before turkey, the traditional Christmas meal in England was a pig’s head and mustard.

9.) Visa cards are used 5-6 thousand times every minute during the Christmas season.

10.) If you gave all the gifts listed in the Twelve Days of Christmas, it would equal 364 gifts.

Go to www.factretriever.com/christmas-facts for more interesting facts about Christmas.