Unleashed Voice of the Redbank Valley Bulldogs ~ New Bethlehem, PA

• Courage- it is moving forward when you don’t have the strength.~ Napoleon

• Please help beef up the blood supply Thursday April 27 from 9-2:30 in the aux. gym.

• April 28th is final prom sign-ups in room 118!

Turkey Day!

Lacey LaBorde, Contributor

As we all know Thanksgiving is always the fourth Thursday of November. This year it will be November 24th. In school every year you learn about the Pilgrims and about them having the first Thanksgiving in the new world in 1621…blah, blah, blah!  Now this could be an article about all of the facts, but let’s be real–we have all been learning about this since grade school. How about we just have a little Thanksgiving fun–a recipe, a few jokes, and what some of RV students are thankful for this year.

Obviously, the most important menu item at the dinner table is the turkey. Most people usually always have noodles, mashed potatoes, beans, and various pies.  Some families may even compete so see who has the best dish, so here is a recipe to try to ensure that you bring the best dish to the table!

Pumpkin Rolls:                                                                  

• Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Grease and flour a 9 x 13 inch jelly roll pan or cookie sheet.
  • In a large bowl, mix together flour, sugar, baking soda, and pumpkin pie spice. Stir in pumpkin puree, eggs, and lemon juice. Pour mixture into prepared pan. Spread the mixture evenly.
  • Bake at 375 degrees F (190 degrees C) for 15 minutes.
  • Lay a damp linen towel on the counter, sprinkle it with confectioner’s sugar, and turn the cake onto the towel. Carefully roll the towel up (lengthwise) with the cake in it. Place the cake-in-towel on a cooling rack and let it cool for 20 minutes.
  • Make the icing: In a medium bowl, blend cream cheese, butter, vanilla, and sugar with a wooden spoon or electric mixer.
  • When the cake has cooled 20 minutes, unroll it and spread icing onto it. Immediately re-roll and wrap it with plastic wrap. Keep the cake refrigerated or freeze it for up to 2 weeks in aluminum foil. Cut the cake in slices just before serving.

Thanksgiving Jokes:

C: What is a turkey’s favorite dessert?
P: I have no clue.
C: Peach gobbler!

What’s the most musical part of a turkey?
(The drumstick!)

What are some students here at Redbank Valley thankful for this year?

Student 1: I’m thankful that I have a little family, and we all manage to come together and just have a good and relaxing day. We do not get to see each other much, so I am glad that we have these holiday memories to look back on.

Student 2: I am thankful that I get to have two days off of school (sometimes three) so that I can go hunting.

Student 3: I am thankful for the teachers and students here at Redbank Valley for making my school year so far really memorable.

Student 4: I am thankful for my mom because no matter how old I get, she still continues to solve all the problems that I have.

Student 5: I am thankful for my friends. This year I have found out who my real friends are and have made some new friends, as well.  I would not trade them for anything.

All in all, Thanksgiving is about being thankful for what matters in life.   Spend some time  with those for whom you are thankful. Maybe try new traditions with your family. Go and help at one of the local food drives on Thanksgiving. Be thankful for what you have on this day, but also try and make others thankful for what you are giving and doing for them.

When at the table on Thanksgiving, remember:   there’s always the rest of the year to workout! Eat until you are stuffed like a turkey, relax, and watch some football!