Club Feature: National Honor Society

Current NHS officers (Left to right: Aiden Reichard, Adrion Orange, Zoe Henry, and Jennifer Kerle)

Kylie Drayer, Contributor

According to www.nhs.us, “the National Honor Society is the nation’s premier organization established to recognize outstanding high school students. More than just an honor roll, NHS serves to recognize those students who have demonstrated excellence in the areas of scholarship, leadership, service, and character. These characteristics have been associated with membership in the organization since its beginning in 1921”.

Here at Redbank, the National Honor society consists of a group of students in grades 10 – 12. Each spring, students who meet the requirements to join will receive a letter and application in the mail. The applications are then reviewed by a panel of faculty to review qualifications and select the new inductees. Then, there will be a ceremony where each new member will be inducted into our school’s chapter of NHS.

This year, NHS has various community service events planned. During study halls, members will be available for tutoring for 7th and 8th graders. NHS members will also be available for after-school tutoring at the community center on Tuesdays and Wednesdays from 3:15 – 5:00. There will also be a college day later in the school year. The National Honor Society also plans to assist with projects at the community center as they come up.

This year’s officers include:

President – Adrion Orange

Vice President – Zoe Henry

Secretary – Aiden Reichard

Treasurer – Jennifer Kerle