A Senior’s Advice for Underclassmen

Kylie Drayer, Staff Writer

High school can be a stressful time. Here are some pieces of advice that I wish I would have known when I was a freshman to make high school an enjoyable time.

1. Don’t stress about the small things- You will get a bad grade on a test, but don’t worry about it. It’s just one test.
  2. Learn from your mistakes– You may lose a game, but just keep practicing and you will improve!
  3. Be yourself- Don’t let the opinions of other people bother you. Everything is so much easier when you decide to just be yourself.
  4. Keep your friends close- Make sure you spend time with you friends. Develop a small group of good friends who will be there when you need them.
  5. Take time for yourself- Spending time with your friends is great, but sometimes, you just need to be by yourself. When you get stressed, go on a walk or read a book.
  6. Be open minded– Be accepting of others because everyone is different. Be friends with the person no one sits by at lunch or make friends with a new student.
  7. Work hard in school- Study, study, study! You may not realize it now, but your grades are important. Work hard in all of your classes. When you’re a senior applying for college, you’ll be glad you worked hard.
  8. Join clubs and sports- Join a new club or play a new sport. You’ll make new friends, and extracurricular activities looks great on college applications.
  9. Develop good rapport with your teachers – Remember teachers are here to help you.  Be respectful, impress them, and they will be able to write letters of recommendation and even select you for awards and scholarships as graduation nears.
  10. Have fun- This is the most important piece of advice. Go to a Friday night football game with your friends. Go to the school dances. You’ll be glad you did.