What Is Phil Jackson Thinking?

Jarrett Bailey, Sports Writer

The New York Knicks have been in a downfall for a couple of years now, and 2015-16 was no exception. They finished off the season at 32-50, firing head coach Derek Fisher and not sticking with Kurt Rambis, who most thought would be a very suitable replacement and fit in well with what Phil Jackson wants in New York; the Traingle Offense. The problem is that many fans, for some odd reason, were against having Rambis as coach, as many of them voiced their opinions on various New York radio shows. Now, Jackson is bringing in former Suns coach Jeff Hornacek. Now that the question of who will be the new head man in New York is answered, that leaves us with another; what is Phil Jackson thinking with this hiring? This is nothing against Jeff Hornacek, but he was never involved in any team that ran the triangle offense that Jackson wants the Knicks to run, and he was fired in the middle of last season after Phoenix started 14-35. This move left many analysts scratching their heads, including Mike Greenberg and Stephen A. Smith. “If I here one more time that the fans didn’t want Kurt Rambis, I’m going to smash my head into a wall” Greenberg said on Mike and Mike. “Phil Jackson should’ve been able to hire the coach he wanted… if they didn’t hire Kurt Rambis because the leadership of the organization heard the fans complaints on the talk shows, I give up.” Stephen A. Smith was no less harsh, if not more so, than Greenberg on First Take later on. “I just think that Phil thinks he’s above the Fray. He’s brought a whole new level of arrogance… I just hope he [Jackson] gets it right.” I could not agree more with both Greenberg and Smith. This doesn’t seem like a Phil Jackson hiring. When you have a guy like Kurt Rambis who the players seemed to have enjoyed, a guy who knows the triangle offense, why not keep him around? This is why the New York Knicks organization is in the garbage right now. You got one of the all-time greatest scorers in Carmelo Anthony, a 7 foot big man in Kristaps Porzingis who can hit the three ball, but you can’t acquire a talent to compliment the two of them or keep a coach around for more than a year to bond the players together. They had that opportunity to keep a good coach who could’ve brought success to the future and, frankly speaking, they choked. That said, a source said that Melo liked the hiring of Hornacek because “he runs a modern offense- which will highlight Porzingis”(New York Post reports). Will this hiring make or break the Knicks? When October rolls around, we will begin to have answers.