Blackout Poetry

Blackout+Poetry

Elisabeth Hook, Writer

Students in Mr.Fricko’s English class recently learned how to write blackout poetry. Blackout poetry is created by choosing an excerpt from a book/piece of writing, and picking out words that fit together that have meaning to you to create a miniature story in the form of a free-verse poem. Then, only those words are seen as you blackout the rest of the text with a black marker. Some of the outstanding poems created include:

“There’s not much hope. I lie to reassure her.”-Shylie Shreckengost

“Her beauty was never forgotten.” -Hope Spence

“She didn’t enjoy sinking down, but there is no up.” -Molly Nolf

“I hold on to my head. I expected darkness, but I see sunshine.” Molly Nolf

“Freshman year a boy in the group home said he hated small spaces.” -Erika Leightley

“He stood, self-conscious, half-scared of laughing to dead words.” -Elisabeth Hook

“Freaky loud. Across the hall suddenly burst out a small-town school, empty. All empty flickering blank screens.” -Taylor Ferraino

“We reach dusk, listen to their fears, leave the night in this new world.”- Caleb Snyder

“I know the sky falls down every day into the world, and we both practice how to speak.”- LeRoy Kinnan

“All I see is darkness. Can’t move… can’t speak…. I can’t believe this. They drugged me. Well done US government. Strange in all this darkness. After a few minutes it shuts off, and the quiet stretches out.” -Anonymous

“In these dungeons the darkness was complete along the cold walls. She hoped and crept toward the light and the sound of laughter.” -Jennie Dinger

“Children ensured my dying parents understood what was trapped inside of me.” -Peyton Kirkpatrick