• Junior High Choir will meet in the choir room today.

• Student Activity Fees are due before you participate in the first regular season game/activity.

• Attention Seniors, if you did not fill out the Student EdCamp sign up on Friday then you need to see Mrs. Ripple or Dr. Harmon ASAP.

Bible Club: Empowered

Back to Article
Back to Article

Bible Club: Empowered

Mackenzie Pence, Assistant Editor

2 Timothy 1:7 says: “For God has not given us a spirit of fear and timidity, but of power, love, and self-control.” This verse is the theme for Bible Club lessons this year. It’s all about being empowered by the Spirit to do God’s will. Let me break it down for you.

“For God has not given us a spirit of fear and timidity.” It says it plain and clear at the beginning of this verse. God is not going to make us fearful of our struggles, and let us cower away. Fear isn’t even a choice in God’s eyes. He provides us with the bravery to face any challenge we go through in everyday life. And even though we go through some tough experiences, He never gives us anything that we can’t handle, because He knows that the Spirit has given us amazing amounts of strength. The second part of the verse says that God has given us a spirit of power. He has given us all the power that we need to do His will. Whether it would be having the energy to go on a mission trip or having the patience to be kind to others, the Spirit provides us with that strength. He’s not here to pitch us a fast ball, (our problems) and leave us to try and hit it with a toothpick. He equips us with a Louisville Slugger and gives us the strength to hit that ball out of the park. Sure, you might strike out once or twice, and we may think we have failed, but in God’s eyes, it’s to do His will and to glorify Him.

He has also given us a spirit of love–not the boyfriend-girlfriend type of love, but “agape” love. What does that mean? Agape love is basically a selfless, sacrificial love for someone where in doing kind things for them, you expect nothing in return. This is the kind of love that Jesus wants us to live by, as it says in John 15:12: “Love each other in the same way I have loved you.” And since Jesus died on the cross for us, he shows true agape love in the form of sacrifice. He loves us unconditionally, and this is how we are supposed to care for everyone. Because of the Spirit God has given us, we are able to show love to everyone around us.

And finally, he has provided us with a spirit of self-control. Basically its meaning is plain and clear: Try not to lose your temper over silly reasons. There is a passage in the Bible that talks of Jesus getting angry and flipping over tables in a temple (Matthew 21:12). Sounds like something he wouldn’t do, right? But this loss of self-control was out of passion for what he believed in. A temple was made to be a place of worship, and all of these people that occupied it were selling goods inside. Jesus was furious that these people were not using the temple for its purpose, and made it clear that what they were doing was not okay. We are to use this same type of self-control each day. I’m not saying you have to flip over tables and be physical to prove your point, but we are to get passionate about what we believe, and show it to people in the most disciplined way possible. Not only does self-control mean to discipline your behavior, it also means to be obedient to what God wants us to do. He doesn’t want you to go to school and cuss to your friends or to steal someone’s money. Having that ability to discern what to do and make good decisions comes from the power that God instills in us.

This year’s theme for Bible Club is living empowered by the Spirit. God has given us the abilities to get through all of our struggles with power, care for everyone with agape love, and keep our cool with self-control. By giving us strength, God has empowered us to succeed in ways that we can’t even imagine.

Mackenzie Pence, Editor

Mackenzie Pence is a senior and has been involved with the Redbank Valley online newspaper for two years. She is the editor for "The Bark" this year,...