• Varsity Baseball will hold open gyms every Monday in January from 7pm-9. 7th & 8th graders are welcome to attend as well.

• Marching Band attending the laser tag and bowling trip-the bus leaves at 5pm on Friday. We will return around 11pm.

• Literature PBA for A DAY students will begin Wednesday, January 24th in computer lab 131.

One Special Kid

Jess Walter, Writer

AAAAAAAAAMMMMMM

You may or may not have heard of a young man by the name of Seth Apel.  Seth is a 12-year-old boy from Knox, PA.  One day when Seth was cutting firewood, his right arm became trapped in a piece of machinery and was severed from his body.  Seth remained conscious the whole time, and luckily after an eight-hour surgery, doctors were able to reattach Seth’s arm.  When Seth and his family came to pay RVHS a visit on April 19, everyone in the auditorium learned that Seth was special.

Seth, his parents, and siblings all came to RVHS Bible Club to share their story.  Angie (Seth’s mom) got in front of all the students to share their struggles and how they all dealt with Seth’s injury.  Angie spoke of how hard it truly was and how it took a toll on everyone, but she knew that God couldn’t give them anything they couldn’t handle with His help.  It was truly inspiring to hear their faith story.

What really struck me was when Seth got up and received questions from the audience.  We were told by Seth’s mom that he had been involved with baseball.   I, along with several others, thought he was completely done with baseball,  assuming his condition did not permit him to play.   To my surprise, when Seth was asked, “Will you ever be able to play baseball again?” he responded with, “Yes.  This season.  Our first game is next Tuesday.”  You can imagine everyone’s surprised and impressed faces, I almost couldn’t believe it.

It was then that Seth’s dad (Josh) grabbed the baseball mitts off of the seat next to him.  I was in awe.  Seth picked up the glove and put it on his left hand.  (He is normally right handed, which means he would catch with his left and throw with his right.)  Josh threw the ball to Seth and Seth caught the ball, whipped his wrist back so that the ball left his mitt and went in the air, flicked off his glove, caught the ball, and then threw it to his dad.  My mouth literally dropped open.  This all happened within seconds, and everyone was so impressed.  It was a quick process, but since Seth can’t throw with his right hand, this is what he has to do. Everyone kept their face of shock when Seth picked up his baseball bat and showed us how he swings, too.When asked, Seth said it didn’t take him very long to learn.  He said the hardest part was learning how to throw left-handed.  If I may say so myself, Seth looked like he’d been doing it for years.

It was truly inspiring to hear Seth’s struggles and hear his mom speak about how they got through the rough times.  I can’t imagine the pain Seth had to go through–his determination is so amazing.  Not everyone would be able to bounce back as quickly and impressively as he has.

I really enjoyed meeting Seth Apel and his family at Bible Club, and I think I can speak for everyone when I say that Seth is truly one special kid.  So, Seth, if you’re reading this, you’re awesome, buddy!