MLB Preview: NL West

Jarrett Bailey, Sports Writer

The NL is almost complete. The last division to take a look at is the NL West.

1. Giants: The Giants and Dodgers have owned this division in recent memory, and last year was no different as they finished 1-2. When looking at San Fran, one name that leaps of the screen is Pitcher Madison Bumgarner. Bumgarner finished 2015 with an 18-9 record, a 2.93 ERA and 234 strikeouts. Plus, they also added Johnny Cueto and Jeff Samardzija through free agency. Plus, with Jake Peavy and Matt Cain rounding off the rotation, I think that the Giants may have an argument for having the best rotation in baseball. They also have a great lineup capable of giving this rotation tons of run support, led by Catcher Buster Posey. The soon-to-be 29 year old batted for a .318 average, along with 19 homers and 95 RBI. Posey is probably the best catcher in baseball, and is the leader of this team. In Right Field, you can find one of the most colorful characters in the game, and also one of the best outfielders. I’m talking of course about Hunter Pence. He only played in 52 games last season, but if he can stay healthy, he is a huge asset to the Giants. San Fran is going to be in that playoff mix once again, and they’re going to be a tough team to beat out.
  2.  Dodgers: The Dodgers are absolutely stacked in terms of depth. We’ll start with their pitching, and Clayton Kershaw is, in broad terms, a freak on the mound. The left hander went 16-7 with a 2.13 ERA and an MLB-leading 301 strikeouts. Kershaw is one of the game’s best, and though he is without question the best ace on this team, he has some steady support. Though they lost Zach Greinke during free agency, guys like Brett Anderson and new Dodger Scott Kazmir are reliable in terms of being able to pitch solid games. Their lineup is headlined by right fielder Yasiel Puig. Puig has great poise and strength at the plate, but also a cannon for an arm. He only played in 79 games last season due to injury, but when healthy, he is one of the game’s best. Another guy to watch is Adrian Gonzalez at first base, who finished 2015 with 28 home runs and 90 RBI. The Dodgers are one of the best teams in the MLB, and should have another successful season and a deep run in October.
  3. Diamondbacks: Arizona went from an okay team to a team with playoff aspirations in 2016 with the signing of Zack Greinke from the rival Dodgers. Greinke was perhaps the game’s best pitcher last season, going 19-3 with an insane 1.66 ERA. With a superstar at the helm of their rotation, that should take some of the pressure off their batting lineup, led by first baseman Paul Goldschmidt. Goldschmidt hammered 33 homers along with 110 RBI and a .321 average, earning his spot as one of the league’s best and a centerpiece in Arizona. One guy that everyone should keep their eye on is third year left fielder David Peralta. Peralta accounted for 17 homers and 78 RBI, while batting .312. The Diamondbacks should have a better year than their 79-83 record in 2015 and be in the midst of a playoff chase.
  4. Rockies: The Rockies may not have a lot going for them in 2016, but what they do have is two of the best power hitters in the game today. At third base, Nolan Arenado. Arenado was an absolute mad man in 2015, slugging 42 homers and 130 RBI. Their lineup isn’t great, but also not terrible by any means. If one 40 HR hitter is good, then two is better, and the Rockies have two. Their second big bat is in right field in Carlos Gonzalez, who smacked 40 out of the park along with 97 RBI. They added Gerado Parra in right field from the Brewers, who can add a decent amount of offense to their lineup (14 HRs, 51 RBI, .291 average in 2015). Their pitching rotation is a work in progress. Their five aces had a combined ERA of 4.64 in 2015, a number that will have to drop juristically if they want success in 2016. If they can do that, then the Rockies will have a better record than their 68-94 mark in 2015.
  5. Padres: The Padres finished fourth in this division last season, but I see the Rockies improving and taking that fourth spot, leaving San Diego in the basement. Their leading home run hitter for 2016 is Matt Kemp, who had an off year in his first year with the Padres, but did finish strong with 23 home runs and 100 RBI. Elsewhere, though, they don’t have a lot of power in their lineup, which could lead to struggles in late-game situations. James Shields had a solid 2015 campaign, going 13-7, but it wouldn’t hurt if that 3.91 ERA came down a little bit. The Padres aren’t exactly stacked, and I see them taking a step backward in 2016.