• Varsity Baseball will hold open gyms every Monday in January from 7pm-9. 7th & 8th graders are welcome to attend as well.

• Marching Band attending the laser tag and bowling trip-the bus leaves at 5pm on Friday. We will return around 11pm.

• Literature PBA for A DAY students will begin Wednesday, January 24th in computer lab 131.

What Can YOU do to Save the Honeybees?

Christina Kopnitsky, Writer

Spring is finally upon us; how wonderful it is to have warm afternoons filled with sunshine! One of the best parts of spring is by far all the colorful flowers.  As the years have passed, the busy little creatures that pollinate these flowers, or honey bees, have drastically declined in population.  It is so vital that we make an effort to stop the decline in our honeybees or the earth will be deeply hurting.

So what’s the big buzz about bees? What are they good for other than stinging us?  It turns out that an insect as mere as a bee has an enormous job environmentally.  Most fruits, vegetables, and flowers are pollinated by the bees.  Not only would bee extinction harm the plant population, but it would also deplete the livestock that require crops as a food source.   If the bees go, so does our source of living.

One of the major issues that harms the bee population is large scale farming.  This proposes a problem because when crops are planted for miles upon miles, all of the weeds and flowers are destroyed.  You would think that this wouldn’t matter because of all the crops to pollinate, but when the crops are off season, the bees often die in these “food deserts”.

Another contributing factor on the decline of bees is the use of insecticides. When a plant has been treated with an insecticide, the bee lands on the flower to pollinate it, and when they ingest the pollen, it makes the bees very disoriented and they are unable to find their way back to heir hives.

So you’re probably wondering what you can do to save the bees; the answer is simple.  First, you can stop using insecticides on your gardens and plants.  There are other natural remedies to repel insects that are “bee friendly”.  Also, scientists suggest that the best way to help the bees is by simply planting “bee friendly” flowers and plants in your garden and around your property.  Some of these flowers would include: wild flowers, including asters, goldenrod, sunflowers, dandelions, daffodils, and flowering vegetables and fruits.  Not only do bees need nectar, but they also need water for survival.  Along with planting some “bee friendly” flowers and plants, you can also provide a bird bath or fountain.

Although saving bees seem vast and unmanageable for a student like yourself here at RVHS, there are multiple things you can do to help the cause of the bees.  Considering that Earth would basically shrivel up and die without the bees, what will you do this spring to give them a helping hand?