Graduation has been Moved!

HB Independent

HUNTINGTON BEACH, CA, June 11, 2013 — Graduates toss their caps in the air during the conclusion of Ocean View High School’s 2013 commencement on Wednesday. (Kevin Chang/ HB Independent)

Logan Magagnotti , Writer

Graduation was originally planned for Friday, May 27th; however, the PIAA State Track Meet in Shippensburg is also scheduled for this date. This could potentially affect many students in the 2016 graduating class, which means they wouldn’t be able to attend graduation with the rest of their class. “You guys started this together, you should end it together,” said Mrs. Rupp, our school principal. The seniors were urged to choose a new date for their graduation.

Each student was given a paper and were told to rank the possible new dates for graduation from 1-4. The dates ranged from Wednesday, May 25th; Thursday, May 26th; Saturday, May 28th; or Tuesday, May 31st. All students must be in school for a total of 180 days for the year to qualify as complete. This means that if any of the options (May 25th or May 26th) were chosen, then the seniors would have to attend school on one or two snow days for their year to end early.

The senior class voted and the results were overwhelming–86% of the graduating seniors who voted, voted in favor of graduating on Wednesday, May 25th.

In order to make up for the two days missed due to early graduation, SENIORS ONLY will be in session on Wednesday, March 23rd* and Friday, April 15th. If updates need to be made to this schedule, students and parents will be notified as soon as possible.

All students were made aware that attendance at the two make-up days will be mandatory. Any senior who fails to attend will result in said student losing the privilege to walk at graduation.

Congrats on the senior class for making their first, of many, adult decisions.

*Due to a snow day on Tuesday, February 16th, these dates will most likely change.