Love and Basketball: February’s Underrated Movie

Love and Basketball: Februarys Underrated Movie

Jordan Mann, Writer

February is commonly associated with love. When I think of February, the first thought that comes to mind is Valentine’s Day. It’s almost impossible to ignore Valentine’s Day when you walk into Wal-Mart and the store is littered with cards, flowers, the color of pink, boxes of chocolate, giant teddy bears, etc. I personally believe Valentine’s Day is a marketing tool because love exists every day of the year, not just one. However, I’ve learned to embrace the love, and make it a day to spend time with my family or friends. So, whether you are in a relationship or single, I think watching a romantic movie is the perfect way to spend the night. I chose “Love and Basketball” as the underrated movie of the month because it’s romantic, but it’s different than your average “chick flick”.

“Love and Basketball” stars Sanaa Lathan and Omar Epps. Quincy (Omar) and Monica (Sanaa) are two friends who go way back to their childhood days. Both aspire to become professional basketball players. Quincy is a natural born leader and talent who has an upper hand in the basketball world because his father plays for the Los Angeles Clippers. Monica, on the other hands, perseveres through all of her struggles and is fiercely competitive on the court, but tends to be too emotional in the game. Over the years, the two begin to fall for each other, but their separate paths in basketball stand between them. Will they choose their love for each other or the love of the game?

“Love and Basketball” isn’t your average “chick flick” because it’s appealing to guys. You won’t have to twist your boyfriend’s arm to watch it because of the underlying sports theme, but the sports theme is really only the beginning as to why it’s not your clique “chick flick”. My favorite aspect of “Love and Basketball” is that it’s so truthful. Romantic movies have a tendency to make people fall in love and come together in situations that never happen in real life. That is not the case in this movie. Quincy and Monica grew up together. They have real chemistry and an ease to their relationship that only comes when you’ve known the person for a long time. They’ve watched each other go through their weird stages, and the two have overcome great obstacles together. It’s honestly like watching two people from your high school fall in love.

I can’t spoil too much for you, but I think if you take the time to watch “Love and Basketball”, you’ll be surprised at how different it is than your typical love story. I highly suggest watching it with friends, your spouse, your family, or whomever. You definitely won’t regret it.