The Classic Game

CINCINNATI, OH - JANUARY 9: Officials try to separate the Cincinnati Bengals and the Pittsburgh Steelers in the second half of the AFC Wild Card Playoff game at Paul Brown Stadium on January 9, 2016 in Cincinnati, Ohio. The Steelers defeated the Bengals 18-16. (Photo by Joe Robbins/Getty Images)

Getty Images

Jarrett Bailey, Sports Writer

After a wild weekend of the opening round of the NFL playoffs, the one thing that fans’ minds keep coming back too is Saturday night in Cincinnati in the second of four Wildcard games set to take place last weekend. It was one of the most physical, exciting, and controversial games in the history of the NFL, I think that can be said without any argument.

In a game that featured 18 total penalties, including 4 unsportsmanlike conduct penalties, 3 large skirmishes, an insane touchdown catch by Martavis Bryant, 6 total turnovers, and a long GW drive capped off by a Chris Boswell 35 yard field goal, it was without a doubt a game for the ages. As good as the game was, what really has the folks talking is all of the extra curriculars going on during the game. After a Vontaze Burfict sack on Ben Roethlisberger that led to Roethlisberger being carted off the field, fans ensued to throw garbage at him. Many people are saying what a disgrace this was, but a lot of the old-timers who are big into football are getting a glimpse of how the game used to be.

I, personally, absolutely loved what was going on. Fans getting way to into it, brawls, big hits; as much as the NFL tries to get rid of all of those factors, it will happen between two teams that hate each other, which I can’t get enough of. Now, yes, Vontaze Burfict went overboard and deserves every bit of his 3 game suspension, but can anyone honestly tell me that they didn’t enjoy watching that game?  Anyone who can is either a liar or doesn’t like football as much as they claim to.  Weren’t you literally on the edge of your seat? This game gave us a little taste of what the league has been trying to eliminate, and, honestly, I wouldn’t mind another taste this weekend.