• Upward Bound will meet on Monday, 4/23, after school in Mrs.Orange's room.

• All seniors need to check their emails and fill out the form for future plans, wills, and memories by Friday April 20th.

• Round two for Prom sign ups, $12 per person. April 12th- Tuesday, April 24th

One Day at a Time

Logan Magagnotti, Writer

As the second semester begins, Seniors are starting to feel the pressure of the real world crushing down on them. So many questions are flooding through the minds of each individual in the senior class.   “Do I join the work force? What about college? In state or out of state? What do I major in?”  However, the biggest question seems to be “Am I making the right choice for myself?”

It’s hard to believe that at 18, you’re forced to make the biggest decision of your entire life. Just a few months ago we weren’t even legally responsible for our own person, let alone allowed to choose a career that we will be content with 20 years down the road.

I’m here to tell you to take your time, weigh your options, look into everything before making a decision. It is okay to second-guess yourself, and it is okay to change your mind. I’m sure that as your senior year began, you had your college picked out and a major to match. You had a plan, but as the year went on it all changed. Maybe you actually visited a campus and hated it, or maybe you found a different major, and the college you fell in love with doesn’t offer it. Maybe you thought you were going to act mature and brave enough to move two and a half hours away from your family and your home town, but as the date gets closer and closer, you realize you’re just not ready for that type of change just yet. Whatever the reason may be, it is okay to not have it all figured out.

I have been a victim of the “what if” question. A month ago, I had my entire life after high school planned. This time next year, I was going to Point Park,  majoring in Broadcast Communication, and enjoying the middle of the city sipping on Starbucks between classes.   I was then  introduced to Kent State University. I visited solely to make a friend happy, and I can truly say I’m so happy I did. I fell in love the very second I stepped foot on campus. I quickly realized that I didn’t actually want to be stuck inside of a big city for the next four years of my life. I wanted a big school with lots of new faces, and Kent seemed to fit the description perfectly. Not only was the campus perfect, but they have an accredited program for my major. Then, the realization set in. Am I really going to go to another state to attend a college where I don’t know a single person? Even at that, is broadcast really what I want to study? Should I  stick to my original plan from more than a year ago and go to Slippery Rock? It would be closer to home, cheaper, and more comfortable with some familiar faces around. So now here I am, questioning every single plan I have made over the past six months of my life. I can confidently say I’m torn between Kent State and Slippery Rock. However, that’s okay. I have till May to make my decision.

Don’t be afraid to go into college undecided. There is nothing wrong with looking at your friends who are majoring in different areas and seeing if any of their classes spark your interest. It’s also okay to commute. Don’t assume that just because many other students stay on campus, you have to. In fact, you’re way smarter for wanting to commute. Think of all the money that you’ll be saving.

Most senior students should have at least applied to the colleges that they are considering by the mid-point of their senior year. However, if you haven’t, there is still time. It’s even okay to take a year off before entering college. After all, this is your life.  Don’t forget, if the college path is not for you, DO NOT TAKE IT! College is not for everybody, and chances are, if it’s not meant for you, you’re not going to do well. There are people who make it perfectly fine in the world without a degree. Honestly, some are even better off than those with a degree.

It is completely okay to not have all your decision made. You have time, and there are so many options. Take a few minutes to talk to Mrs. Switzer, our guidance counselor,  if you’re truly confused. Be sure to choose a career that you’ll be happy with. Don’t ever choose a major, college, or career path because of someone else. Remember, you’re the one who has to live this lifestyle everyday for the next 40-50 years.

Don’t let a college rush you into making a decision. Remember, most colleges want your money as soon as possible; however, you have until May 1 to commit to any and all colleges. This is your legal right as a college student. If you feel you have been denied your legal rights at any time, you may contact the National Association for College Admission Counseling.