Is it Worth It?

Elisabeth Hook, Writer

It is every where. You hear it when you are walking down the hall, when you are hanging out with friends, and it is constantly on social media.  There are entire reality TV shows developed for entertainment built upon it alone. Gossip. It is everywhere and hard not to feed into, but is it worth it?

Everyone always wants to know what is happening. You want the details and you want them now, but have you ever considered how your curiosity affects the person you are talking about? I know this sounds like some lecture your grandma would give you, but it’s true. To be the object of  jokes and gossip is awful and diminishing.

Not only does gossip hurt the person you are talking about, it can have negative affects on you as well. Constantly having negative thoughts being put into your head is not healthy for your own well being.  Using people’s pain and struggles as your own personal entertainment is rather demeaning to you.  Plus, is that what you want to be remembered for?  The girl or guy who always talked about everyone and made people’s lives miserable? It may seem harmless, but every word you speak has a snowball effect that builds up until it finally crashes in an avalanche of lost friendships, pain, and regrets.

So, why do you do it? Most likely when you talk about what so-and-so did, and you find the words, “Did you hear about…?” come spilling out of your mouth, you don’t think about the repercussions that can occur. You want to share a new exciting bit of shocking information you heard and find out what others know as well. That is understandable, but truly, it isn’t your business, so don’t pass it along.  Next time, think and make sure you don’t say something you will regret– it may cause more emotional damage than you would ever know. Your words hold more power than you can imagine.

So, take some advice from Thumper from the movie Bambi, “If you can’t say something nice, don’t say nothing at all.”