NCAA Men’s Basketball Preview

Jarrett Bailey, Sports Writer

The NCAA Basketball season is underway, and already just a few games into the season, there is a lot to be excited about with a long road ahead of us. Currently in the AP Top 25, this is the current Top 10:

1. Kentucky (4-0)
  2. Maryland (3-0)
  3. Michigan State (3-0)
  4. Iowa State (2-0)
  5. Kansas (1-1)
  6. Duke (4-1)
  7. Oklahoma (2-0)
  8. Villanova (4-0)
  9. North Carolina (3-1)
  10. Gonzaga (2-0)Kentucky seems to never leave the top of the rankings, but with all the talent on their roster and the great coaching of John Calipari, they always seem to have a group that is ready for success. Isaiah Briscoe is one of the many scoring threats on the team, but with his 6 assists per game to go with 12 points, his dime-dropping is one of the many things that has led the Wildcats to success, including an early-season victory over Duke. Jamal Murray, Tyler Ulis, and Skal Labissiere are all averaging around 14 points per game, and Marcus Lee is doing work in the post, averaging 8.3 rebounds to go with 8 points. The Wildcats are clicking, but if we travel a little further north, Maryland is having quite the year themselves. Melo Trimble is emerging as a Player of the Year candidate, averaging just over 16 points per game and 3 assists. Big men Jake Layman and Robert Carter are both patrolling the paint this season, with both averaging right around 7 rebounds per game, with Layman averaging 14 points and Carter at just under 12. The Terps are putting the nation on watch, and are a legit threat to make a run for it all come March. Even though Duke got the early loss at the hands of Kentucky, they are still in that 6 spot and we know that they will be dangerous with Grayson Allen playing out of his mind averaging just over 24 points per game with 4 rebounds and 3 assists and leading the Blue Devils. The question is will Allen forgo his Junior year to head to the NBA, which in this day in age, wouldn’t be a big surprise to see. Another team getting a lot of attention is LSU and their star freshman Ben Simmons. LSU was regarded as a potential top 10 team, but after 3 straight losses, that may be put on hold. Now, alothough the disappointing start and a 3-3 record may not be something to exciting for the Tigers,the numbers that Simmons is putting up, specifically his 16 PPG, 15 RPG, and about 6 APG definitely a positive side note for the team. Win or lose, there is no doubt that Simmons is a beast, and while LSU has a Heisman hopeful tailback in Leonard Fournette, Ben Simmons is ready to prove that LSU is more than just a one-sport show.

The NCAA season is just getting underway, but the nation is being put on alert by these teams with their young superstars who are looking to make names for themselves and prove that their school is the best. One thing is for sure; The road to March is going to be a lot of fun to watch.