NBA Northwest Division Predictions

Jarrett Bailey, Sports Writer

The NBA season is in full swing so it is time to wrap up these predictions, finally, with the Northwest Division.

1. Thunder: Last season, OKC had a down year with Kevin Durant missing the majority of the season with a leg injury, which led to them missing the playoffs. But, looking at the fact that Durant is back to bring that Westbrook-Durant tandem, perhaps the best in the game. Serge Ibaka at the 4 spot is one of the most feared shot blockers in the NBA and will make this rotation that much more intimidating. They also have a solid bench, with D.J Augustin backing up Westbrook. The Thunder are on a vengeance journey to prove they are one of the best in the NBA, and the rest of the league better be on watch.
  2. Trail Blazers: Even though the Blazers lost LaMarcus Aldridge to the Spurs, they are still a team loaded with young talent. The leader of the group is point guard Damian Lillard and C.J. McCollum at the 2 spot. Rounding out the rotation are Myers Leonard, Mason Plumlee, and Al-Farouq Aminu. This team is loaded with young potential All-Stars that can carry this team back to its glory days. I love the Blazers and I think they steal a playoff pot this year.
  3. Timberwolves: Looking at the roster for the T-Wolves, they are a situation similar with the Blazers; not one superstar, but a group of good, young players who can give this team a playoff push. Ricky Rubio has been dropping jaws with dazzling ShowTime passes since Day 1 in the NBA, and last years NBA Rookie of the Year Andrew Wiggins is rising his stock as a future All-Star. Kevin Garnett made his return to Minnesota last season where he began, and we assume will end, his Hall of Fame career. One guy I really like is Karl Anthony-Towns at Center. The 2015 first overall pick out of Kentucky has had a lot of well-earned hype, and hype that fans everywhere think can be backed up by his play. The T-Wolves are in a spot where they have their foundation laid, now it is time to build on it.
  4. Nuggets: While the Nuggets lost their franchise guard in Ty Lawson, they still have a talented core of players, especially the frontcourt duo of J.J Hickson and Kenneth Faried, a duo who together are averaging almost 17 points and 14 rebounds per game. Up front, Emmanuel Mudiay and Gary Harris have a lot to prove with the departure of Lawson, but with Orlando’s all-time leader in assists Jameer Nelson making the move up north to Denver, I think he will be a guy who can be a mentor to the young guards while giving good production as well. I don’t see a playoff birth for the Nuggets, but I do see a team with young talent who can go nowhere but up.
  5. Jazz: The Jazz are a case where all of their starters are decent or good, but not great. I like Derrick Favors and Rudy Gobert in the frontcourt, and their backcourt is quite interesting. Raul Neto is a guy that can be very good in the near future, and if he isn’t feeling it, he can try to get guys like 3-point general Gordan Heyward or Rodney Hood at the two involved. And, remember Trey Burke is still there at a good option off the bench who can come off and bring instant production. The Jazz are gathering their bearings, so this will be an experimental year.