• Varsity Baseball will hold open gyms every Monday in January from 7pm-9. 7th & 8th graders are welcome to attend as well.

• Marching Band attending the laser tag and bowling trip-the bus leaves at 5pm on Friday. We will return around 11pm.

• Literature PBA for A DAY students will begin Wednesday, January 24th in computer lab 131.

NBA Southwest Division

Jarrett Bailey, Sports Writer

The Season is just starting, so it’s about time to wrap up the predictions, don’t you think? Time to head to the Southwest.

1. Rockets: The Rockets were just a hair away from advancing to the Finals last season, but Steph and company rained on their parade en route to a Championship. But James Harden and the crew are back and upgraded, with Ty Lawson joining the Rockets at the 2 spot, a great lending hand to the MVP Candidate. Dwight Howard at center may be the most athletic big man in the game, and as long as the Rockets starting five can do the things they did last year, they should pick up where they left off last season and make a run at it all.
  2. Spurs: The Spurs are a team that I get tired of writing about to be honest. They are old, they are over the hill, but someway, somehow, they still find ways to win. We all thought that Tony Parker, Manu Ginobili, and Tim Duncan would all have retired when they made that title run two seasons ago, but still they are here. Kawhi Leonard is the future of this team when the previous mentioned trio do decide to call it quits, and has showed the entire NBA that he is ready to be a perennial All-Star. The Spurs also made a huge splash in the off-season, landing LaMarcus Aldridge from Portland at the 4 spot. Even when we want to write the Spurs off, they find ways to get more talent and get production from their aging veterans.
  3. Pelicans: The Pelicans played in one of the more exciting playoff series’ last season, even though it ended in their elimination by the hands of the Warriors (noticing a trend?). There Is still a lot of talent on this team, for instance Anthony Davis at Power Forward, who Kareem Abdul-Jabbar claimed to be the best big man in the NBA. When you look at their frontcourt duo of dime-dropping Jrue Holiday and Eric Gordon who is always prepared to cash in on open jumpers. Tyreke Evans and Ryan Anderson are a couple of guys that come off the bench and put up nice scoring, Evans being a good slasher and Anderson being a big guy with the ability to knock down the three ball. New Orleans is a team that, if the talent comes together, can be a playoff team, but I don’t see a very deep run.
  4. Grizzlies: The problem with making predictions is that when you have such a tight division of good teams, you may not know where to place teams; this is a perfect example. The Grizzlies are a team with underrated talent at all positions. I like Mike Conley and Courtney Lee in that backcourt, with Tony Allen coming off the bench as one of the best defending guards in the game. Marc Gasol, even as he nears his final years, is still one of the top centers in the game. Zach Randolph is one of the more energized guys in the game, and he too is aging but still able to produce. The Grizzlies are another one of those interesting cases that will just tell their own story as the season unfolds.
  5. Mavericks: The Mavericks may be in a recession. The glory days of Dirk are long over, if you ask me. Deron Williams is a gleam of hope at the point guard position, as his the sharp-shooting Chandler Parsons at the 3 spot. Zaza Pachulia is someone who the Mavs are looking to as turning into an elite center in the NBA, and with his height and rebound ability, it could very well happen. Overall, though, the Mavs don’t have much depth and I don’t see the playoffs in their near future.