Your Vote Matters

Jordan Mann, Writer

If you are eighteen years old or will be by November of 2016, you will be able to vote in the next Presidential election. A vast majority of us probably have no idea how to register to vote; the differences between the Republican Party and the Democratic Party; the importance of voting; or even  the candidates’ platforms. It is so important to understand what is happening in our country and be the change that needs to happen.

Your vote is your voice as an American citizen. Voting is your opportunity to be heard, to hold elected officials accountable for their decisions, and  to have a say in important issues that affect our country and your community. Voting is the cornerstone for democracy, yet so many people choose not to participate. Your vote matters, and it counts. Elected officials are aware of who votes. If your community isn’t turning out at the polls on Election Day, elected officials will pay less attention, make fewer appearances and fewer appeals to your community.  No matter what the issue is, it won’t be heard if you don’t vote. Voting is your chance to make your world– township, borough, county, and country–better.

There are an infinite differences between the Republican Party and the Democratic Party. To start, Democrat’s philosophy leans toward being liberal and left wing, versus the Republican party that tends to be conservative and right wing. In taxes, Democrats believe people in a higher tax bracket should pay higher tax rates, while Republicans think everyone should pay the same taxes. Democrats suppose social and human ideas should be based on community and social responsibility, where as Republicans think it should be based on individual rights and justice. Keep in mind, these are only basic differences between the two parties, but there are more.  Also, keep in mind not to  vote for a candidate because he belongs to a certain party–look at his platform and what he represents.

Currently, Donald Trump is the front runner for the Republican party, and Hillary Clinton is leading the polls for the Democratic party. In the spring, the primary election will determine the final candidates for both of the parties.  The polls change all the time, and just because Hillary Clinton and Donald Trump are the front runners right now, it doesn’t mean it will stay that way. Find the elected official that you believe will help the country and yourself the best.

To register to vote in Pennsylvania, you need to complete a Pennsylvania Voter Registration Mail Application Form, and then you can take or mail it to the PA County Board of Elections Office. Another way to register is to take the completed form in person to any government agency office.

John F. Kennedy said, “A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”   There are countries in the world where the people have no say in what goes on. We are so fortunate to live in America because we actually have a voice in what affects our community and country. Your vote is your opportunity to express your opinion and make a change. Don’t let it go to waste.

Source:

http://www.diffen.com/difference/Democrat_vs_Republican