• Varsity Baseball will hold open gyms every Monday in January from 7pm-9. 7th & 8th graders are welcome to attend as well.

• Marching Band attending the laser tag and bowling trip-the bus leaves at 5pm on Friday. We will return around 11pm.

• Literature PBA for A DAY students will begin Wednesday, January 24th in computer lab 131.

NBA Southeast Division Preview

Jarrett Bailey, Sports Writer

The Season is just days away, and the Pre-season is bringing out the best in many competitors to prove that they are for real. The final division to cover in the east is the Southeast.

1. Hawks: Atlanta was the surprise of 2014-15 last year, as they finished with the number 1 seed in the East and made it to the conference finals before being eliminated by LeBron and company in Cleveland. They have a strong starting five, four of which were All-Stars last year. Jeff Teague and Kyle Korver make up the backcourt. Teague had a career year last season in which he accumulated 16 PPG to go along with 7 assists, while Korver continued his rein of terror from beyond the arc, shooting an insane 49%. With Paul Millsap and Al Horford are looking to build off the season they had last year, in which they combined for 31.9 PPG and 15 rebounds per game. With Thabo Sefolosha a defensive guru at the 3 slot, and Tiago Splitter as a huge addition to come off the bench at center, this Hawks team could pick up right where they left off.
  2. Hornets: There is a lot to “buzz” about in Charlotte, as the Hornets have emerged into one of the most exciting teams to watch in the NBA. Kemba Walker runs this show at the one, and they acquired sharp-shooting Nicholas Batum from Portland at the two. Cody Zeller and first round draft pick Frank Kaminski III will be a great rotation at the 4 spot to compliment Al Jefferson at center. At the 3 spot, Marvin Williams has been a pleasant surprise, as the Hornets have a great supply of Small Forwards that they can work in every game for good minutes and production. If all goes well, I can see the Hornets snatching a 5 or 6 seed. All in all, there’s is a lot to look forward to in Buzz City.
  3. Wizards: The Wizards competed at extremely high standards in last years playoffs, and that was without there elite point guard John Wall. Wall is creeping closer to MVP contention, and with Bradley Beal his partner-in-crime at the 2 slot, this could be another good season for the both of them. Otto Porter is at the three spot. Even though his numbers don’t blow you away on paper (6 PPG, 3 RPG), he still plays a huge roll on defense and is a great hustler. Marcin Gortat and Nene Hilario (yes, Nene has added his last name) make up the glass-eating frontcourt. I love the Wizards and I think they can steal one of the final spots in the East.
  4. Heat: Miami fluttered last year after LeBron took his talents back to Cleveland, but still eked out a playoff spot. When you look at their starting 5, Dwayne Wade is still there, but is aging and production isn’t where it used to be. Chris Bosh is still there at power forward and Luol Deng is a guy who was a great player in Chicago proved to be a valuable asset last year in Miami, and they had another great addition in Goran Dragic . Miami is an interesting situation this year, and one of which I don’t know where to place them in the standings. If the team can play well as a unit, they could be a team to be reckon with in the East, but I don’t see title implications in the near future.
  5. Magic: The Magic, in my eyes, are a team very similar to the 76ers; a team with a few exciting players that might take a year to click. Elfrid Payton is a guy that the entire NBA is noticing and a guy who can be a star-in-the-making. Pairing him up with Victor Oladipo will definitely lead to one of the most exciting backcourts in the game. Tobias Harris at the three spot is someone who I want to see strive and have a good year and I think he could be on his way. Nikola Vucevic is emerging into one of the better centers in the NBA, and if given time, can help mold this Magic team into the playoff team they used to be.