• Varsity Baseball will hold open gyms every Monday in January from 7pm-9. 7th & 8th graders are welcome to attend as well.

• Marching Band attending the laser tag and bowling trip-the bus leaves at 5pm on Friday. We will return around 11pm.

• Literature PBA for A DAY students will begin Wednesday, January 24th in computer lab 131.

NBA Atlantic Division Preview

Jarrett Bailey, Sports Writer

The Atlantic has a lot of questions that need answering, but here’s how I see things ending up at the end of the first 82 games.

1. Raptors: The Raptors, over the past few seasons, have evolved from a team who was always fighting for the number 8 spot in the playoffs to a team who is a constant threat to win their division. That 1-2 punch of Kyle Lowry and DeMar DeRozan is absoloutly lethal. Lowry has earned his money and respect as a top point guard in the NBA, and DeRozan is rising to the top as well. The Raptors also added DeMarre Carroll at the three spot from Atlanta, who went on a tear at the end of the season and into the playoffs. There rotation will be fully complete if there starting frontcourt of Patrick Patterson and Jonas Valanciunus can gobble boards and play strong both facing toward and away from the bucket. If all goes well, the boys above the border can rack up another division title and a deep playoff run.
  2. Knicks: The Knicks had one of the worse seasons in franchise history in 2014-15, finishing dead last in the East with a 17-65 record, but the Big Apple got some big upgrades during the off-season to compliment Carmelo Anthony. They brought in Arron Afflalo at 2-guard and big Robin Lopez in at Center to plug into their starting lineup, which is good news considering that the Knicks had one of the weaker starting 5 in the game last season. This is good news for Jose Calderon, who averaged about 7 assists per game last year, now having more reliable options to go to in a remodeled rotation. With a makeover in the off-season, I think Melo will be as good as ever and the Knicks will improve juristically from 2014-15 and be in position to snag a playoff spot.
  3. Celtics: Boston grabbed the 7 spot last year in the playoffs and were eliminated in the first round by the Cavs. They had one of the biggest moves of the off-season by snagging David Lee from Golden State at Power Forward, a top 5 guy at his position that will definitely lift this starting lineup to new levels. I particularly like the combo of point guards they have in Marcus Smart and Isaiah Thomas to go along with Avery Bradley at the 2. Kelly Olynyk will have to make strides this year and carry his load at center. If that happens, the Celtics could sneak into the playoffs once again and be a dark horse team that takes people by surprise.
  4. Nets: The Nets are a huge question mark this season. Deron Williams is no longer running the show, as he was shipped to Dallas following rumors of disputes with management. So, it will be Jarrett Jack starting at point. Jack has flourished over the past few seasons, most notably with the Cavs and last season when he first showed up in Brooklyn. Joe Johnson is still there, though, at the swing 3 spot, but is maybe starting to meet father time (he’s 34). I do like Thaddeus Young at the 4 spot to add some young talent to the rotation to compliment Brook Lopez at Center. It may be a down year in Brooklyn, but if they can put a run together, they can push for a .500 finish.
  5. 76ers: The 76ers have a very young and entertaining duo in the frontcourt with Nerlens Noel and their first round draft pick Jahil Okafor, but other than that, Philly doesn’t have much depth. Kendall Marshall has come in and will most likely start at the point, and while he is skilled, he doesn’t really have a complimentary 2 guard to go with him. The frontcourt will be very entertaining this season, but I don’t see very many “W’s” in the Sixers future.