• Varsity Baseball will hold open gyms every Monday in January from 7pm-9. 7th & 8th graders are welcome to attend as well.

• Marching Band attending the laser tag and bowling trip-the bus leaves at 5pm on Friday. We will return around 11pm.

• Literature PBA for A DAY students will begin Wednesday, January 24th in computer lab 131.

NBA Central Division Preview

Jarrett Bailey, Sports Writer

The NBA pre-season has officially begun and basketball is back in full swing. Predictions need done, so I’ll start in the Eastern Conference in the Central Division.

1. Cavaliers: The Cavs are always going to be atop the leaderboards in terms of picks of winning their division and conference as long as they have that Big 3 of LeBron James, Kyree Irving, and Kevin Love. I don’t really need to tell you about them, but as a journalist, I’d be stupid not to talk about this tandem. Kyree has emerged as a top 5 Point Guard in the NBA. The same can be said of Kevin Love at the four slot at Power Forward, and LeBron is the greatest player on the planet. But the Cavs are far from just being a 3-man show, as they may very well be the most depth-filled team in the league. J.R Smith is a fan favorite at the two guard position and whenever he may need a break, his former New York teammate Iman Shumpert is always available on hand to get valuable minutes. They also have a great starter-backup Center combo in Timofey Mozgov and Anderson Varajeo. The Cavs will be a threat to win the title every season if they can keep this group together.
  2. Bulls: There’s new leadership in the windy city for my Bulls as Tom Thibodeau was sent packing after rumors of internal issues and after the Bulls were eliminated in the Conference Semi’s by the Cavs. So now it is Fred Hoiberg as the new man in charge. The Bulls, once again, have a team that could very well win it all. Derrick Rose showed flashes of his pre-ACL and injury-filled self (he recently suffered an orbital fracture in training camp), and if he can play at that MVP level he once did, that could mean trouble for the NBA. That is a very big “if”, though. But when you look at this roster, there is all-stars and tons of talent everywhere. Jimmy Butler was voted the NBA’s Most Improved Player in 2014-15, and is one of the league’s best. There frontcourt is incredible, as well. With Joakim Noah and Pau Gasol (who led the NBA in double-doubles) patrolling the paint and gobbling up boards and also scoring, this is a starting 5 that is among the best. One of the best things about the Bulls is their bench. Nikola Mirotic was the Rookie of the Year runner up last season, as he was one of the biggest surprises of the previous season. Taj Gibson was a Sixth Man of the Year finalist last year and of the best big men in the game today. Think I’m done? Nope. Doug McDermott is back this year after missing most last season due to injury to make it rain from behind the arc. If the Bulls can learn to finish games in the playoffs and overcome LeBron, they can win it all.
  3. Bucks: The Bucks clinched a playoff birth last year under first year head coach Jason Kidd and have even higher expectations for 2015-16. They have a roster decked with young talent. Michael Carter-Williams runs the show at the point with Khris Middleton at the two guard. Backing up MCW is Greivis Vasquez, who was a finalists for Sixth Man of the Year in 2013. Jabari Parker is coming back from an ACL injury, and promises a big season. The front court consists of Greg Monroe, who came over from the Pistons, and alongside Monroe is one of the NBA’s best name’s in Giannis Antetokounmpo, who averaged about 12 points and 7 rebounds per game in 2014-15. I think the Bucks will snatch a playoff spot again this year and Jason Kidd and his squad will continue to raise eyebrows.
  4. Pacers: The Pacers got a huge boost to their offensive game with the addition of Monte Ellis from Dallas. The Pacers stumbled and missed the playoffs. With Monte playing alongside George Hill, Indy now has one of the best backcourts in the league. Another big addition was C.J Miles at Small Forward, acquiring him from the Cavs. Paul George is also back after missing most of last season after that horrific broken leg during the Olympics. I love the Pacers this season, and I think we could see four teams with winning records in the Central this season.
  5. Pistons: The Pistons are a team that I really think has talent that has yet to reach their full potential. Big Andre Drummond at Center is a guy that can be a perennial All-Star and someone who can gobble up the boards. I like them putting Ersan Ilyasova at the 4 slot, as a guy who has the height to gather the rebounds and the stroke to knock down threes. Kentavious Caldwell-Pope (or KCP as he’s known as) is slowly emerging into a top 2 guard in the NBA, and with a little help, he can be a guy who attracts attention. Detroit is coming off many rough season, but let’s hope for the best this season.