• Do you like video games? Consider joining the RV Smash Club.

• Any 7th or 8th grade female who is interested in playing Jr high volleyball in March please sign up in the cafeteria.

• Hey Redbank, new this year - Be sure to check out the new icons when ordering your copy of the 2019 High School Yearbook.

Freshmen Chromebooks

Back to Article
Back to Article

Freshmen Chromebooks

Elisabeth Hook, Writer

In a world where technology is always evolving and a part of our daily lives, it is important we as students have the opportunities to grow with these advances. This year the ninth grade students have received Chromebooks to use throughout the day. The students have the opportunity to carry them from class to class to use for projects, homework, online textbooks and communication with teachers. Chromebooks are currently being tested by students in ninth grade, and if all goes well, the school district plans to  gradually distribute them to all students enrolled at Redbank Valley High School.

The Chromebooks are a small step in making Redbank Valley a Google school. This means that eventually all of the students textbooks, homework, and projects will be accessible online to work on at home and during school. No more heavy books!  In addition to homework and books being made available, the Chromebooks allow for the use of Google Apps for Education, Google Classroom, and Google Drive. These applications let students do their work online and share their documents with teachers and fellow students for review, which many students find very beneficial. 

Freshmen had a lot to say about the Chromebooks being added to the classroom.  Peyton Kirkpatrick, said, “Google classroom is awesome. Google Calendar helps me organize myself better than a passbook does.” Another student, Kristen Shaffer said,”Well, they are nice to have and are rather light, but they are another thing to constantly worry about. I do like how Google Docs saves whatever you do, but I’d still rather have my Z Drive and Microsoft;  I find it easier and it has more then Google Docs.”  From the teacher’s perspective, Mr. Craig, a history teacher,  added, “I can see there can be distractions, but there are a lot of cool things to do with them. I would rather have a cart of them in a room so everyone can use them, and not just my ninth graders.”

While learning to adapt to this new technology in the classroom and the full development of the program may take some time, it will be well worth it in the long run.

Elisabeth Hook, Contributor

Elisabeth is a sophomore at Redbank Valley High school. This is her second year as a writer for The Bark, and you will most likely be able to find...