• Varsity Baseball will hold open gyms every Monday in January from 7pm-9. 7th & 8th graders are welcome to attend as well.

• Marching Band attending the laser tag and bowling trip-the bus leaves at 5pm on Friday. We will return around 11pm.

• Literature PBA for A DAY students will begin Wednesday, January 24th in computer lab 131.

Yogi Berra: Gone But Never Forgotten

Jarrett Bailey, Sports Writer

The baseball world lost one of it’s greatest all-time players and characters.  Tuesday, September 22, the great Yogi Berra passed away at the age of 90. Berra spent all of his 19 seasons in  MLB in New York (18 with the Yankees, 1 with the Mets), where he hit 358 home runs and had 1,430 RBIs.  He was an 18-time All-Star, won the AL MVP 3 times, and earned a Hall-0f-Fame induction in 1972.

Berra, despite his small figure (he stood only 5’7″) is regarded has one of the all-time greatest catchers in history and was the catcher for Don Larsen during his perfect game during the 1956 World Series.

Along with being one of the greatest players, he was also a great manager. He went on to manage/coach the Mets, Yankees, and Astros. In total, Berra appeared in 21 World Series and was on the winning end of 13 of them. Now, everyone remembers Berra for his baseball career, but throughout his career, he was known for having some very memorable quotes, or “Yogi-isms” as they are known. Here are just a few:

• “It ain’t over till it’s over.”
  • “If you come to a fork in the road, take it.”
  • “You can observe a lot by just watching.”

Yogi Berra will forever be remembered as being a great person, baseball player, and quite a character. Although he was a Yankee and a Met for all of his career, there is no doubt that he will be one heck of an Angel-a Heaven’s Angel that is.  R.I.P, Yogi.