Manziel Mania

Manziel Mania

Jarrett Bailey, Sports Writer

Before I begin to do my predictions of all the NFC divisions, I want to talk about the topic that has had fans going crazy for the past year- the Cleveland Browns and Johnny Manziel. Ever since Manziel rose to the top of College football by wining the Heisman trophy his freshman year, it was known that he would be the topic of discussion when he declared for the draft. And, sure enough,after being taken by the Browns in the first round, it has been nothing short of an all-out fan fest over Johnny Manziel. His first two starts were rough in 2014, but now, after throwing for 182 yards and 1 TD, plush rushing for 35 yards, in the Browns season opener, head coach Mike Pettine definitely has some decisions to make about the crafty mobile quarterback from Texas A&M. If you ask me, it has always been the Browns’ intention to eventually make Manziel their starter. If that wasn’t Plan A, they wouldn’t have traded away Bryan Hoyer and brought in Josh McCown. I’ve seen Josh McCown play football, and sometimes I think that if you gave me pads and a helmet, I could do better than some of his performances. Some people who know me say I may be a little bias, and they may be right. I’ll admit I love Johnny Manziel and want him to be a great quarterback in the NFL, and he has the tools to do so. He has been a media baby in the past, but has promised to better himself, both as a teammate and as a person, and after his Week 1 performance, I think it’s about time to hand him the reins and let him be who he is; “Johnny Football” and the leader of this Browns team.