• Varsity Baseball will hold open gyms every Monday in January from 7pm-9. 7th & 8th graders are welcome to attend as well.

• Marching Band attending the laser tag and bowling trip-the bus leaves at 5pm on Friday. We will return around 11pm.

• Literature PBA for A DAY students will begin Wednesday, January 24th in computer lab 131.

Mr. Harmon: Road to Teacher of the Year

Mackenzie Pence, Assistant Editor

If you’ve had Mr. Harmon in class, you know how fun, yet educational his classroom is. And this year, he had the chance to be nominated for Teacher of the Year! Right now, he is representing this region as a finalist in the competition. If he wins, he has the honor of being the best teacher in all of Pennsylvania, and will compete for the National Teacher of the Year. I talked with him to get some more information about this award.

Q: What is the name of the award?

A: The Pennsylvania Teacher of the Year. It is a part of the National State Teacher of the Year (NSTOY) program. If I win in PA, I will go on to compete for the NSTOY.

Q: Who nominated you for this award?

A: Sally Flaherty; she works for the Pennsylvania Department of Education as the State Social Studies Advisor

Q: What did you have to do to apply?

A: I had to address contribution to training staff and future teachers in a 2 page paper, as well as awards and honors I’ve received as a teacher. I had to write 2 more 2 page papers on Educational Philosophy and Professional Biology.

Q: What did you have to do after becoming a semi-finalist?

A: I had three writing prompts. I addressed what I would do to improve the teaching profession as well as my “motivational message” to teachers.

Q: What is your position in the competition now?

A: 1 of 12 finalists of the state. There are 5 Elementary teachers and 7 high school teachers.

Q: What does being state teacher of the year mean?

A: Being the state teacher of the year means that you are the first among equals. You become a representative of all state teachers. You travel through the state speaking at various teacher functions. The following year, you travel to different places around the country as a representative at various educational conferences, such as Alabama, St. Louis, and Arizona. During the second year, you compete to be the National Teacher of the Year.

We wish Mr. Harmon the best of luck throughout the competition, and are very proud of his accomplishments!