Editorial: Stop Feeding Landfills

Editorial Board

Let’s be real– in today’s world, “Being green” is a common lifestyle. Although living in such a small town, it is uncommon for us to see or even hear about recycling, but it does exist. In the popular city of San Francisco, everyone is required to separate their recyclables and compostables.  Does that seem a bit extreme, or is it actually not extreme at all?

Why is it that nobody in New Bethlehem has taken such a big step towards helping the environment? I’m sure we can all agree that if we don’t put any effort into taking care of the Earth,  eventually it won’t be able to do the same for us. If we aren’t recycling now, who is going to teach future generations about its importance?  So, is it up to the schools to teach recycling?  If so,  how does Redbank Valley encourage recycling?

Anyone who spends a lot of time in the library or copy room knows  how much  RVHS students and teachers print. I can only imagine the paper and ink cartridges that get thrown away every school year that could have been recycled…but why isn’t it happening?

Paper is just the beginning.  Tons of cans, plastics,  and other recyclable items are thrown away every day in  the district’s cafeterias, faculty rooms, and the Family Consumer Science kitchen. By putting an effort into separating our trash, we can reduce the amount of garbage we produce and increase the amount of products we recycle.

Couldn’t a recycling box be placed in each classroom?   Couldn’t a recycling bin be place near each pop machine in the district? Recycling bins in the cafeterias, if not possible for student trash, could at least be used in the kitchen by the cafeteria staff.  Couldn’t recycling efforts in the high school begin in Environmental Science class?   Perhaps managing recycling could be an on-going class project.

The students are the most powerful voice of RVHS, and it’s  time to do something about recycling in our high school. If we show that we care, effort may be put into bettering our local environment as well. The school board won’t supply recycling bins for the students and staff if we don’t show we are willing to sort our trash.  It’s our time Redbank– Reduce Reuse and Recycle!