Editorial: The Morning Rush

Editorial:  The Morning Rush

Editorial Board

The morning rush– the schedule change Redbank experienced this year where we report directly to homeroom in the morning– has eliminated any time for students to organize and prepare for the school day.   This morning rush has been detrimental to the Redbank Valley student body, and we think it’s time to bring back the old way of doing things.

Without enough time, it is one-thousand times harder for students to get necessary passes for the day.    When we try to get passes to make up our work or do research, most of the time we are late to homeroom and get in trouble. Proactive students are trying their best to be responsible, but without enough time, it’s extremely difficult for them to get caught up.

There is another question that has been on a lot of students’ minds: what happened to breakfast? With the twenty minutes allotted in last year’s schedule, kids could enjoy their breakfast with time to spare. But now, the only people getting breakfast are early bus riders, first period cafeteria study hall students, and “special delivery” classes. What about everyone else? Breakfast used to be available for everyone, but now it’s only offered to a select few, which is very unfair. Upperclassmen that report to the auditorium in the morning don’t even get a chance to look at what is offered. It’s great that breakfast is given out at school- especially since it’s free- but there needs to be something done about only a few kids being able to enjoy its benefits.

This problem can easily be solved just by making a single small adjustment.  If we were released to the halls at 8:00, it would make a world of a difference. What is the purpose of releasing students at 8:05?  It’s only five extra minutes, but it’s valuable time that we could be using to get passes, make up assignments, and eat breakfast. This small schedule change would not take that much adjusting. Kids would still have to be here by 8:10 to make it to homeroom. By getting out at 8:00, it gives us enough time to get things done, but not too much free time wasted by wandering the halls. This compromise could be a great change for the staff and the students. We firmly believe that this is a simple, yet effective solution to the dreaded morning rush.