Student of the Week – David Horner

Q:  What is your favorite book, its author and why?

A:  My favorite book (books, really) would have to be the Three Books of Occult Philosophy, written by Henry Corneluis Agrippa. The book itself details aspects of occultism and “traditional magic” that is thought to be one of the most complete collections of real witchcraft, a part of history I find endlessly interesting.

Q: What kind of music do you enjoy?  What’s your favorite band or musician and why?

A:  I tend to enjoy most music, though jazz seems to be the genre I find myself listening to most. I’m particularly a fan of Thelonious Monk, I find his music deeply interesting and enjoyable, and his live performances are simply immaculate. 

Q:  Who is your personal hero and why?

A:  I personally disagree with keeping heroes. While I look up to many, like my mother and father, I will never be one to perpetuate the idolatry of one another, I see everyone as my equal, no one superior, and definitely no one inferior to myself or anyone else.

Q:  What is your preferred or dream career/job?

A:  My dream career would be to compose music. I’ve always looked up to composers and for the longest time dreamt of being one myself, to score films professionally.

Q:  What has been the highlight of your high school experience so far?

A:  So far the highlight of my school year has easily been having the privilege of playing in the Redbank Valley marching, jazz, and concert bands.

Q: What is your favorite subject and why?

A: Sciences have always been my favorite subjects, as it isn’t just information for the sake of information, there’s an explanation and a reason for everything.

Q: If you could change one thing about your high school experience so far, what would that change be and why?

A: Honestly, I would change the relationship I have had with school. I would wish the same of my peers as well, as the mood you’re in as you walk into the school each morning dictates the effort you’re willing to put into your work and your education.

Q: Name three things you would like to accomplish this school year?

A: By the end of this school year, i would like to improve musically, end the year with good grades, and play in the band at graduation.

Q: If you could spend one year abroad, where would you go and why?

A:  I would go to Germany for sure. Some of the smartest people of all time have come from Germany and it remains to this day one of the most scientifically advanced countries in the world.