STEM Competition

Nikki Shreckengost, Staff Writer

“STEM is an acronym for Science, Technology, Engineering and Math education. We focus on these areas together not only because the skills and knowledge in each discipline are essential for student success, but also because these fields are deeply intertwined in the real world and in how students learn most effectively.”                                                                       —From California STEM Network.

Adrion Orange, Andrew Adams, Brock Barrett, Bryan Layton, and Logan Markle competed at the STEM Competition on February 17, 2015 at IU6 in Clarion, with the help of Mrs. Dinger, Ms. Boyles, and Mrs. Layton.  The Redbank Valley students placed fourth in this event.  This event was sponsored by the IU6 and is a state program. Governor Corbett donated money to the intermediate units to encourage the use of STEM within our schools.
At the event the RV students had to present a prototype of a device that would solve some sort of problem in their community. They chose to create a prototype of a panic button.

The students had three phases to complete:

1. Present a prototype of a device that would solve some sort of problem in their community. They chose to create a prototype of a panic button.
  2. Present the problem in their community and how the panic button could solve it.  The RV team chose school safety as the problem to solve.
  3. They were also given a “Problem in a Box,” or a surprise problem. They were challenged to build a device with limited supplies that would prevent an egg from breaking when dropped from 8 feet.

As an added bonus, the RV students were able to fly a drone, program a robot, and build a solar car!

The team would like to give a special thanks to William Hopper for his technical expertise.

For more information about STEM education, click here.