• There will be a student council meeting today in room 106 during activity period.

• Upward Bound will meet on Monday, 12/10, after school in Mrs. Orange's room.

• Boys’ Basketball tournament here at 6:00 PM

STEM Competition

Nikki Shreckengost, Staff Writer

“STEM is an acronym for Science, Technology, Engineering and Math education. We focus on these areas together not only because the skills and knowledge in each discipline are essential for student success, but also because these fields are deeply intertwined in the real world and in how students learn most effectively.”                                                                       —From California STEM Network.

Adrion Orange, Andrew Adams, Brock Barrett, Bryan Layton, and Logan Markle competed at the STEM Competition on February 17, 2015 at IU6 in Clarion, with the help of Mrs. Dinger, Ms. Boyles, and Mrs. Layton.  The Redbank Valley students placed fourth in this event.  This event was sponsored by the IU6 and is a state program. Governor Corbett donated money to the intermediate units to encourage the use of STEM within our schools.
At the event the RV students had to present a prototype of a device that would solve some sort of problem in their community. They chose to create a prototype of a panic button.

The students had three phases to complete:

1. Present a prototype of a device that would solve some sort of problem in their community. They chose to create a prototype of a panic button.
  2. Present the problem in their community and how the panic button could solve it.  The RV team chose school safety as the problem to solve.
  3. They were also given a “Problem in a Box,” or a surprise problem. They were challenged to build a device with limited supplies that would prevent an egg from breaking when dropped from 8 feet.

As an added bonus, the RV students were able to fly a drone, program a robot, and build a solar car!

The team would like to give a special thanks to William Hopper for his technical expertise.

For more information about STEM education, click here.

Nikki Shreckengost, Writer

Erin Kunselman

Nikki is a senior and founding member of the Redbank Valley Online Newspaper. In her free time, she enjoys writing poetry, drawing,...

1 Comment

One Response to “STEM Competition”

1. Debra Dinger on March 9th, 2015 9:26 am

The STEM competition was the first time that I stepped out of my comfort zone. I would like to thank Ms. Boyles, Mrs. Layton, Adrion Orange, Andrew Adams, Brock Barrett, Bryan Layton, Logan Markle, and William Hopper for stepping up and devoting their time to bring this together. You are an awesome group of people to be associated with.

• STEM Competition

Lunch Menu December 10-14

• STEM Competition

Cards For A Cause

• STEM Competition

• STEM Competition

Lunch Menu December 3-7 2018

• STEM Competition

Clarion County Career Center Trip

• STEM Competition

Blood Drive Playlist

• STEM Competition

• STEM Competition

Pajamas?

• STEM Competition

Lunch Menu 12-16

• STEM Competition

Veteran’s Day Shirts