Girls’ Basketball Seniors

Nikki Shreckengost, Staff Writer

Throughout high school, Kaelyn Gruver (#32), Cassie Fink (#5), Cambria Hornberger (#44), and Megan Bain (#4), have been dedicated basketball players. To these girls, it’s not just a sport or a game, it’s a part of them. They play their hearts out at every game and deserve to be recognized for their awesome work!

The following is a list of questions I asked them, and their replies.

How many years have you been in basketball?

Kaelyn:     I have been in basketball since third grade, so it would be 10 years.

Cassie:     I have been playing basketball since the third grade. (10 years)

Cambria:     I have been in basketball for 10 years.

Megan:     I have been playing since fourth grade, so 9 years.

What is your favorite memory?

Kaelyn:     Winning the Brockway Tourney three years in a row, and winning our Christmas Tourney this year. Also, being captain of the team this year.

Cassie:     I can’t pick one specific memory, but my favorites were the wins that weren’t easy; the wins we worked our hardest to get; and the wins that a great team deserves. Just the excitement after a special win is definitely my favorite memory!

Cambria:     Beating Moniteau two years in a row in the first round of playoffs.

Megan:     In eighth grade– getting kicked out of practice with Emilee Kunselman for not touching the lines when doing a defensive drill.

What are you going to miss the most?

Kaelyn:     Being with the team pretty much everyday, and just knowing they would be there.

Cassie:     I am going to miss being a part of such a great team!

Cambria:     I’m going to miss being a part of such an amazing team.

Megan:     What I’ll miss most is not getting to spend time after school with all the girls and getting to see everyone improve.

What have you gained from playing basketball?

Kaelyn:     I have gained new friends and leadership skills, and a sense of knowing how to react in bad situations.

Cassie:     I have learned a lot from basketball, like how to be a team player and to never give up and how to accept both victory and defeat graciously.

Cambria:     I’ve learned that success is made of hard work and dedication.

Megan:     I gained many friends throughout the years. Also, how to work with others.

Do you have any advice for younger players?

Kaelyn:     Work hard and play with your heart! Don’t let anyone put you down and tell you that you can’t, because you can! Have faith in yourself, and always follow your heart! Also, ALWAYS take the shot!

Cassie:     Work hard in the off season and cherish your basketball years, because once it’s over, you can’t go back to try harder or to be a better player. Try hard now; be the better player now!

Cambria:     Work hard and always push yourself; never give up!

Megan:     Push through all the hard, long practices because once you’re a senior, you will realize how much time you actually spent working to get better. It can all be over in the blink of an eye.