• Jr. High Track Meet on Monday, May 20th.

• Yearbook Money is due by Friday!

• Seniors! Don't forget $15 for your cap and gown.

Filed under Sports, Sports Showcase

Q & A: PSU & Former D9 QB Isaac Rumery

Back to Article
Back to Article

Q & A: PSU & Former D9 QB Isaac Rumery

Photo Created by Kolby Barrett

Photo Created by Kolby Barrett

Photo Created by Kolby Barrett

Photo Created by Kolby Barrett

After losing Penn State’s star quarterback, Trace McSorley, the team will be looking for its new star. One of the athletes up for the position is Isaac Rumery from Clearfield High School. Rumery committed to Penn State on October 3, 2018, as a preferred walk-on, and then would later enroll on January 5, 2019.

Rumery had a pretty great junior season at Clearfield, putting up 2,652 yards and 33 touchdowns with a 63 completion percentage for the Bison. That was just the passing side of the season. He managed to put up around 400 rushing yards and 8 rushing touchdowns all while on a hurt ankle the second half of the season.

When at Clearfield his accolades included  four-time starter, two-time team captain, helped carry the Bison to become Mountain League Champions as a senior, and helped Clearfield win a District 9 title as a freshman.  He made the Pennsylvania Sports Writers All- State for 4A twice as a Junior and Senior, made all-conference three times, named team MVP three times, holds the school record for passing yards and touchdowns in a career, and he also holds the passing yards and touchdowns in a single game.

Rumery also played baseball and track for the Bison. Rumery did all of this just in high school.  It will be sure be exciting to see what the future holds for him. We may be seeing him in the future as Penn State’s star quarterback.

To watch some of Isaac’s high school highlights the following is his Hudl account: Click Here

Q: What made you decide to go to Penn State?
A: Best place for me to succeed in and off the field. Best environment in college football.

Q: When playing in District 9 for Clearfield, what is your favorite moment?
A: My favorite moment was just my senior year in general. Playing every Friday night with my brothers; there’s nothing like it. But if I had to break it down to one moment, I’d say winning the regional championship game.

Q: Penn State just lost their big quarterback Trace McSorley. Do you think you will be able to fill his shoes?
A: Trace McSorley is a legend and a role model of mine, but I came to Penn State to play. I don’t believe there are any shoes that are too big for me to fill. With the talent we (Penn State) have, they’d make it easy for me.

Q: Penn State has had Juwan Johnson transfer to Oregon this year. Are there any targets that you are looking to throw to?
A: When you have guys like K J Hamler, Dotson, Shorter, Dan George, and John Dunmore, it’s hard to choose.

Q: You wore 11 in high school and now 19 at Penn State. Is there any significance to those numbers?
A: Eleven was just always my number; my role model Troy Aikman wore it. Nineteen is just a number.   I hope to make it significant to someone some day.

Q: If you could pass to any player right now, past or present, who would it be?
A: Randy Moss

Q: Is there anything that you would like to say to any kid wanting to go D1.
A: Keep your head down and grind. There’s no special formula, just hard work and dedication. If I can make it from the small town of Clearfield, PA, then you can make it as far as you want.

About the Writer
Kolby Barrett, Author

Kolby is a Freshman at Redbank Valley HIgh School. This will be his first year on The Bark staff. Kolby participates in football, wrestling, Track and...