NCAA Playoff Recap

Jarrett Bailey, Sports Writer

The NCAA Football playoff was a huge success and one of the most watched events in College Football history. Fans have been asking for this playoff format for years, and it did not disappoint. My picks for the final two teams were both wrong, as I predicted Florida State to beat Oregon and Alabama to beat Ohio State, none of which happened.

The Sugar Bowl, which featured Ohio State and ‘Bama was, in my opinion, the more exciting matchup of the two semi final games. The scoring came early and lasted all game, but the big story was the struggle of Alabama Quarterback, Blake Sims, who threw 3 interceptions in the game, one of which was returned 41 yards for a touchdown. Alabama’s defense was shaky as well, allowing an 85 yard touchdown in the late stages and also allowing Ezekiel Elliot to rack up 230 yards en route to the Buckeyes 42-35 win.

The Rose Bowl was a blowout in favor of Oregon. Jameis Winston did have a good day throwing the ball as he went 29-45 for 348 yards and 1 touchdown and 1 interception, but the Seminoles were very dirty on offense as they lost 4 fumbles and had 5 total turnovers, which basically fed the Ducks the win as Heisman Winner Marcus Mariota threw for 338 yards and 2 touchdowns. He also accounted for 62 yards and 1 touchdown through the running game as well. The Ducks high powered defense and quick offense was too much for Florida State to handle and Oregon came out with a 59-20 win.

So the National Championship game now awaited Oregon and Ohio State, and Ohio State got the better end of the game. Oregon’s defense caused 4 turnovers, but the offense couldn’t do anything with the ball and ended up punting 6 times. The running game for Oregon only racked up 133 yards on a combined 33 carries. Marcus Mariota had a good day throwing the ball as he ended up with 333 yards and 2 touchdowns. What really ended up being the deciding factor, in my opinion, was time of possession. Ohio State held the ball for 37:29 of 60 minutes compared to only 22:31 for Oregon. And with all that time, it gave Ezekiel Elliot time to rush for 246 yards and 4 touchdowns on 36 carries and when all was said and done, Ohio State emerged as the National Champions.