• The Talent Show is tomorrow at 1 PM.

• There is no school on Friday!

• There are 5 days until Easter!

Beauty and the Beast

On Friday morning, April 5, 2019, the entire student body of the Redbank Valley School District, K-12, was treated to a sneak peek of this year’s musical Beauty and the Beast.   Directors Jack Gareis, Julie Aaron, Carrie McIntire, and Eli Terwilliger lead a cast and pit of more than 60 students from Grades 5-12.

Garies shared that this was his largest cast ever, noting that the cast list has been growing every year since he began his tenure as director.   “This year it was as if the actors cast themselves.   The parts were made for their personalities.” When Mrs. Potts, played by Carly Over, Grade 11, was asked what her favorite part of this production was, she responded, “(I love) how big the cast is and how much they are enjoying it.”  Garies chose Beauty and the Beast because students have been asking for it for three years now.   “It’s a very popular musical and should bring in a big audience.”

Alena Keller, Grade 12, who plays Belle said, ” I like having the opportunity to play this part. Belle is a strong character, and it is cool to see how her feelings transform throughout the show. She is a fun character to play–I am honored and grateful for the part.”  Peyton Kirkpatrick, Grade 12, Beast, loves his character, too. “Over the course of the last couple months, it has grown on me. It is really fun to be able to go from being very angry to finding love.  What Ethan Reichard, Grade 12, loves about playing Gaston is  “I get to act in ways that I normally wouldn’t in school.”  Two seniors, Karlee Wells and Lauren Smith,  decided to come out of their comfort zones this year and tryout for the musical for the first time “…because we really like Beauty and the Beast.

Garies feels that the creative costumes will surprise the audience. “Angie Keller Griffin touched every costume in this production.  Her work was endless and amazing.”  Quinn Fricko, Grade 9, a ladle, agrees with Gareis, “…we put so much work into the costumes.  Angie did it all!”   Megan Gourley, Grade 10,  the spatula, loved the costumes of the main castle dwellers and noted how much time was put into each of them.  In addition to Destiny Logan’s, Grade 12, professionally detailed make-up of the Beast, musical goers will particularly enjoy the many unique kitchen and dining tools brought to life:  a whisk, salt and pepper shakers, spatula, ladles, China plates, crystal glass, and an army of silverware.

A particularly entertaining part of the sneak peek was seeing the 5th and 6th graders dressed as the silverware in the song be our guest. When asked what it was like to be in their first musical they used words like…”awesome”…”exciting”…”really fun”…”magnificent”…and “nervous”;.  They all chimed in “YES” when asked if they would do the musical again

The younger student population made another huge contribution to this year’s production.   According to Mrs. Walker, elementary art teacher,  the Art Club stayed after school for two weeks to make the enchanted castle walls and rose.

Looking to the future of spring musicals,  Ciarra Mills, Grade 10,  would love to bring Tangled to the RVHS stage, while Sarah Magness, Grade 9,  suggested Mama Mia.  Emmaleigh Rupp, Grade 9,  said she would audition for “…any (show) that this school puts on because it is always awesome.”

Come to see Beauty and the Beast at Redbank Valley High School this weekend on Friday and Saturday @7:00 PM  and Sunday @3:00 PM.  Tickets are $2.00 at the door.

About the Writers
Makayla Monrean, Author

Makayla is a Freshman at Redbank Valley High School and it is her first year writing for The Bark.  She chose to join the newspaper staff  because she...

Mackayla Males, Author

Mackayla is a Freshman at Redbank Valley High School. This is her first year writing for The Bark. You will most likely see her writing about sports and...

1 Comment

One Response to “Beauty and the Beast”

1. Julie Aaron on April 6th, 2019 2:04 am

Thank you so much for the great article!! It’s been a lot of fun working with this cast. What amazingly talented students we have at Redbank!

• Beauty and the Beast

Photo of the Week

• Beauty and the Beast

APP Review: Stickman Hook

• Beauty and the Beast

Song of the Week

• Beauty and the Beast

App Review: Purple Diver

• Beauty and the Beast

Captain Marvel Review

• Beauty and the Beast

Song of the Week

• Beauty and the Beast

Song of the Week

• Beauty and the Beast

App Review

• Beauty and the Beast

Song of the Week

• Beauty and the Beast

Musician Monday: Ciara Mills