Search for Work

Since 2014, Mr. Blane Gold, Government and Economics teacher, has organized Search For Work Day for seniors at Redbank Valley High School. This year’s Search For Work Day was held Thursday, March 14, from 11:30 – 3:00 PM.

This year, Mr. Gold arranged for over 60 businesses to attend. Some of these businesses included Clarion Hospital, Northwest Bank, and Shirey Farms.  Search For Work Day is held for seniors that are graduating from Redbank Valley. In preparation for the event, the seniors in Mr. Gold’s class are tasked with creating resumes and cover letters. On the day of the event, students are assigned three to four mock interviews, each with a career matched individual.  

According to Mr. Gold, the inspiration behind Search for Work Day was based on his own struggle.  After college, he had the grades and certifications that he needed, but that was not enough. He had no resume, cover letter, or experience with interviews. He was thrown into the job hunting process with absolutely no experience.  The goal of Search For Work Day is to “make sure that every single student that graduates from Redbank Valley has a professional resume, a cover letter that they can use, and that they have mock interviews under their belt.” Resumes and cover letters are initially created by students. The main reason Mr. Gold has the students create these are to give them a guide on what to do in the future. The resumes and cover letters “focus on their educational accomplishments, any work experience they may have, and activities…outside of school. Really, anything that shows that they would be a responsible, reliable employee. Mock Interviews are designed to allow the students to make mistakes the first time around…rather than in the future when they are applying for possible jobs.”

This year I received the opportunity to participate in Search for Work Day. I created my own resume, cover letter, and I was interviewed by business representatives. After I attended my own interview, I became the interviewer– I talked to a number of the business representatives and senior participants to discuss the Search for Work Day experience.  They offered some interesting insights which I have shared in the slideshow attached to this article.  

Mr. Gold’s goals for the future include expanding each year and to eventually fill both gyms with mock interviewers, as well as making Search For Work Day more realistic each year.

Overall the seniors now have a pretty better understanding of what to expect once they begin applying for jobs and receiving interview offers. Search For Work continues to grow and impress, and I cannot wait to participate again next year.