• Prom Preliminary Sign Up deadline is March 22. See Mrs. Weaver!

• Track & Field Athletes: Track clothing orders have been re-openned @DeMan's online store.

• Photograph or record your PROMPOSAL and enter in The Bark's contest!

Filed under Sports, Sports Showcase

Bruno Fernando: A Boom or Bust?

Back to Article
Back to Article

Bruno Fernando: A Boom or Bust?

Born in Luanda, Angola, Bruno Fernando has been a beast on the University of Maryland’s Men’s Basketball Team. He got his first bit of attention when he played for Angola’s team in the FIBA Under-17 Championship in 2014. After that, he was offered to play at Montverde Academy in Florida. He then committed to Southern Methodist University but did not attend to play at IMG Academy, a nationally ranked high school, to play basketball there.

Bruno had many offers and decisions to choose from in college. His top choices being Auburn, Alabama, and Florida State, but would ultimately choose Maryland. He had a solid first game coming off the bench against Stony Brook, putting up 10 points, 2 rebounds, and an assist. On January 8, 2018, he was named Big Ten Freshman of the Week after putting up a career-high 21 against Iowa and 19 against Penn State the following week. After averaging 10 points per game, he would be named to the All-Big Ten Freshman Honors. After his big season, he declared to the NBA Draft and the Draft Combine but withdrew to go back to Maryland.

Bruno has been a powerhouse power forward this year for Maryland putting up a bit over 14 points per game and an outstanding 10.5 rebounds per game. As of now, Bruno is said to be a late round first-round pick in the NBA Draft. In my opinion, I think he can be a top player in the league, as long as he puts the time in. When he attends the combine this year, he must impress, and then I think that he will be able to get his draft stock into the top 10.

About the Writer
Kolby Barrett, Author

Kolby is a Freshman at Redbank Valley HIgh School. This will be his first year on The Bark staff. Kolby participates in football, wrestling, student council,...