• The Talent Show is tomorrow at 1 PM.

• There is no school on Friday!

• There are 5 days until Easter!

Filed under Sports, Sports Showcase

Q & A with NFL and MLB Athlete Josh Booty

Back to Article
Back to Article

NOLA.com | Times-Picayune file photo

NOLA.com | Times-Picayune file photo

NOLA.com | Times-Picayune file photo

The Miami Marlins first-round pick in the 1994 MLB Draft somehow ended up the NFL fifth-round pick by the Seattle Seahawks in 2001.  Josh Booty has an incredible back story to his professional athletic career. 

Booty was the first high school player ever to throw for 10,000 yards. He was also named as the USA Today Offensive Player of the Year and the National High School Player of the Year from about six major sources. At the same time, one of the greatest quarterbacks of all time, Peyton Manning, was playing in high school and competing for those same awards–but Booty was winning them.  When playing baseball, Booty was a four-time all-state at shortstop, as well as the starting shortstop for the U.S. Junior Olympic National Team that ended up winning a silver medal. He was an All-American Shortstop, as well.

During his professional baseball career, he would play for five years. He was voted as the Minor League Defensive Player of the Year with the Portland Sea Dogs in 1997. In 2013, Booty tried to revamp his baseball career after winning the MLB Network show The Next Knuckler, where he was able to attend the Arizona Diamondbacks spring training. Booty would go to college, as well, at LSU in 1999 to pursue professional football. During those college seasons, he would play under the great Nick Saban, who now coaches at the University of Alabama. Booty’s family were also athletes.   His brother Abram was a wide receiver at LSU and played for the Cleveland Browns.  His brother John David was a well-known quarterback at USC. After winning the 2007 and 2008 Rose Bowls, he would get drafted by the Minnesota Vikings in 2008. Booty had his fair share of time in the sports world and had a solid career.

Q: You come from a family of athletes.   What was it like in a family like that?

A: Having a father as a coach was terrific. We ate, slept, and breathed whatever sport was in season. My mom was very supportive.

Q: You were able to be a World Series champion. What was that like?

A: I was real young and called up at the end of the year, so I kinda just was at the right place at the right time! The playoffs were a blur.  Wayne Huizenga built a winner quick with the players he brought in for a World Series run. That 7-game series was epic in ’97.

Q: After being the USA Today High School Football Player of the Year, you had your choices of colleges.  What made you choose LSU?

A: Home state and unreal baseball program with legendary Skip Bertman as the Head Coach. They also had no QB’s there at the time and really needed me.  

Q: You got to do something many few people get to do, play two professional sports. What was that like?

A: Eventful,  I wanted to always play both at same time. That was my goal, but never did that.  It’s too hard for a quarterback.

Q: You have played alongside and against some great players.  Who were the coolest and most memorable.

A: Gary Sheffield and Matt Hasselbeck were my two fave teammates in pros. In minors, Kevin Miller was my roommate for several years and we had blast. Great memories.

Q: If you could give any kid advice about their future with sports, what would it be?

A: Work hard cause nothing comes easy.   Develop great habits young. Work ethic is key and resilience. You have to be a gym rat, and you have to love it or you won’t succeed. So much goes into being a pro. It just doesn’t happen by accident.

About the Writer
Kolby Barrett, Author

Kolby is a Freshman at Redbank Valley HIgh School. This will be his first year on The Bark staff. Kolby participates in football, wrestling, student council,...