Math Electives

DEPARTMENT:  Mathematics

Course Name:  Probability and Statistics & Problem Solving (Honor Course; holds a weight of 5.0 towards final GPA)

Grade: 12        Course Length:  1 Year              Credits:  1.0              Prerequisite(s): Passing grade in Algebra 2

Description:   This course is designed to provide the student with a comprehensive treatment of introductory statistics and probability.  The nature and importance of statistics and probability will be discussed. Major areas of statistics and probability will be identified, compared, and studied.  This course will concentrate on collecting, analyzing, interpreting, and applying statistics in various areas such as sociology, business, ecology, economics, education, medicine, psychology, and mathematics. Problem solving has been defined as what to do when you don’t know what to do.  The basis for this class is the teaching and learning of strategies that people in the workplace, in their homes, in the shopping mall, on vacation, or wherever, use when solving problems. Students will learn general, wide-ranging strategies for solving problems. From the general format, they will develop and apply specific problem-solving strategies, communication skills, and attitudes.  

This course will not be conducted as a typical or traditional math class.  Students will use their books and each other as much as, or more than, the teacher as sources of information.  Students will be primarily working in group situations to make conjectures, express ideas, and ask questions to solve problems while learning to collaborate with other people.  Students will be expected to verify and evaluate their own work and the work of others in class. They will learn to become analytical and critical thinkers.

Course Name:  AP Statistics (A.P.; holds a weight of 5.1 towards final GPA)  

Grade: 12        Course Length:  1 Year              Credits:  1.0              Prerequisite(s): Students must have successfully completed Algebra 2 before enrolling in AP Statistics

Description:   The AP Statistics course is equivalent to a one-semester, introductory, non-calculus-based college course in statistics.  The course introduces students to the major concepts and tools for collecting, analyzing, and drawing conclusions from data.  There are four themes in the AP Statistics course: exploring data, sampling and experimentation, anticipating patterns, and statistical inference.  Students use technology, investigations, problem solving, and writing as they build conceptual understanding.

Course Name:  Academic Trigonometry/Pre-calculus (Honor Course; holds a weight of 5.0 towards final GPA)

Grade(s):   11  12       Course Length:  1 year        Credits:  1.0     Prerequisite(s):  Grade of C or better in Academic Algebra 2

Description:    Precalculus expands the study of functions, including polynomial, exponential, logarithmic and trigonometric functions introduced in Algebra 2. The course also includes topics from analytic geometry and includes a heavy emphasis on trigonometry. Throughout this course students will be performing calculations, using vocabulary, discovering and applying mathematical principles, thinking logically, and translating real-life situations to mathematical models, obtaining solutions, and then translating solutions back again into real-life contexts. Students will be learning and practicing effective note taking strategies, vocabulary development, reading comprehension of mathematical text, communicating mathematical ideas in writing, organization skills, test taking strategies, and reflective learning

Course Name:  Academic Calculus (Honor Course; holds a weight of 5.0 towards final GPA)

Grade:   12          Course Length:  1 year    Credits:  1.0          Prerequisite(s): Grade of C or better in Academic Trigonometry/Pre-Calculus

Description:  This course is designed for students who desire a good foundation for college calculus.  It includes an intensive review of the topics from algebra, trigonometry, and analytic geometry that are necessary for success in calculus.  Technology is included where appropriate and incorporates real life problems and skills. The course includes coverage of the essential topics normally taught in the first semesters of the college calculus sequence (differential and integral calculus).

Course Name:   Consumer Math

Grade:   11   12           Course Length:  1 year            Credits:  1.0     Prerequisite(s): This course is not appropriate for students who have successfully completed Algebra 2, Trigonometry, Calculus, or any other upper division math courses

Description:   This math course includes a good review of arithmetic for the individual, the earner, and the consumer.  It is also the last mathematics many of the students will have; therefore we try to teach basic principals and apply them to practical problems.  Students will work with basic algebra and geometry, as well as coping with everyday problems such as checking accounts, banking, taxes, insurance, etc. Emphasis will be placed on meeting the Pennsylvania standards.

More Electives:

Agriculture Science Electives

Business/Computers Electives 

Fine Arts (Art & Music) Electives

Family/Consumer Sciences (Home Economics) Electives 

Industrial Technology and Engineering Electives

Language Arts Electives

Social Studies Electives 

Foreign Languages Electives

Science Electives

Math Electives 

Physical Education Electives