Industrial Technology and Engineering Electives

DEPARTMENT:   Industrial Technology & Engineering  

Course Name:  Drawing  and Design  

Grade(s):  9 10 11 12         Course Length:  Semester          Credits:  0.5         Prerequisite:  None

Description:  The goal of this course is to give the students a basic background in the world of drawing and design.  The students will draw basic shapes and objects using only pencil and paper. No drawing tools will be used.  They will learn how to draw both orthographic and isometric drawings. They will be challenged with various problem solving activities.  They will be required to do both individual and group activities in the classroom. They will brainstorm, design, sketch, build, and test models in the class.  All projects will be submitted for grading by peers and the teacher. By the time the class is completed the students should have a very good understanding of the process of designing a product.

Course Name:  CAD Introductory                   

Grade(s):     10  11 12             Course Length:  Semester               Credits: 0.5            Prerequisite(s): Drawing and Design

Description:  The goal of this course is to give the students a basic background in the world of Drafting.  The students will see the importance of drafting as a language. The students will learn all of the tools used in drafting.  They will learn both orthographic projection and isometric drawing. All rules of dimensioning will be used correctly. They will learn how to show shape description of objects in both 2 and 3 dimensional worlds.  The first half of the year will be spent on pencil and paper drawings and the second semester will be spent using AutoCAD 2002. By the time the class is completed the students should have a very good understanding of basic technical drawing and computer aided drawing skills.

Course Name:  Robotics 1,2,3,4

Grade(s):    9 10 11  12     Course Length:  1 year                 Credits: 1.0              Prerequisite(s): CAD I

Robotic Engineering is a high school level course that is appropriate for 10th – 12th grade students who are interested in the design, engineering and programming of robots or another technical career. The Robotics Engineering course is designed to explore the past, current and future use of automation technology in industry and everyday use. Robotic Engineering focuses heavily on prior knowledge from STEM related courses. The students will receive a comprehensive overview of robotic systems and the subsystems that comprise them. With curriculum provided by VEX and the REC Foundation, the students will program several autonomous robots using Robot C. There will be class competitions and engineering challenges using VEX robotic system, Careers in robotics, programming, and engineering will be discussed.

Course Name:  Architectural  Drafting

Grade(s):    11  12          Course Length:  1 year                 Credits: 1.0              Prerequisite(s): CAD I

Description:  The goal of this course is to give the students a basic background in the world of Architectural Drafting.  The students will review the tools used in basic drafting, orthographic projection, and the rules of dimensioning.  They will learn the basic structure of a building from the foundation to the roof of the structure. They will demonstrate the ability to draw blueprints and isometric drawings on paper.  They will use Auto CAD 2002 to draw 2D plans on the computer. They will learn AutoCAD Architectural Desktop to draw 3D plans. They will then take their drawings and animate them to real world situations using 3D studio Viz.  By the time the class is completed the students should have an understanding of architectural drawing and the structure of buildings.

Course Name: Home Maintenance & Repair

Grade(s):   10 11  12       Course Length:  1 Semester                Credits: .5        Prerequisite(s): None

Description:  This course provides students with an opportunity to explore the many different areas in construction that relate to home maintenance and repair.  Students will develop advanced problem-solving skills as they relate to home repair and essential life skills that will help make them self-reliant in maintaining or updating a residential structure.  Students will also learn and practice many different home repair procedures and techniques including: plumbing, electrical, drywall work, tiling, etc.This course will be presented from a theoretical as well as a hands-on approach.  This course will cover topics relating to equipment, techniques and procedures as they pertain to home maintenance and repair. Students will have the opportunity to apply constructions techniques in a hands-on manner and this course supports learning for students with a variety of learning styles.

Course Name:  Wood Manufacturing Systems I

Grade(s  9  10 11  12       Course Length:  Semester                     Credits: 0.5              Prerequisite(s): None

Description:  This is a beginners level course to introduce them to wood manufacturing.  The student will be introduced to all of the machines. Safety will be covered on all of the machines in the shop.  The students will start with plans and rough materials. They will use the tools to create a finished product. They will then be required to develop their own product and set up a mass production run which will include developing plans, fig and fixtures, flow charts, the actual manufacturing of parts, and electing a President and Vice President.  This allows the students to see what actually goes on in the real world. (The students are required to purchase their products to complete the class.)

Course Name:  Wood Manufacturing Systems II and III

Grade(s):  10  11 12           Course Length:  1 year             Credits: 1.0             Prerequisite(s): Wood I and II

Description:  The goal of this course refines the woodworking knowledge the students were taught in Wood I.  The students will review all of the tools used, and the safety practices for each. They will review the different practices and procedures for designing and building a project.  A student chosen project must also be completed to fulfill the class requirements. This project needs to be completely designed and manufactured by the student in class. By the time this course is complete, the student should be able to follow strict tolerances and build outstanding projects.  (The students are required to purchase their projects from the school.)

More Electives:

griculture Science Electives

Business/Computers Electives 

Fine Arts (Art & Music) Electives

Family/Consumer Sciences (Home Economics) Electives 

Language Arts Electives

Social Studies Electives 

Foreign Languages Electives

Science Electives

Math Electives 

Physical Education Electives