Social Studies Electives

DEPARTMENT:  Social Studies

Course Name: Modern History 11

Grade:    11          Course Length:  Semester                 Credits: 0.5               Prerequisite(s): None

Description: Modern History 1980-today is a survey of the social, political, economic, cultural, and intellectual history of the United States and the World from 1980 to present day. The course will compare and contrast lifestyles of the 80’s, 90’s, and today.  Other themes that will be addressed include: the evolution of terrorism, major US and World leaders, tragedies such as the Challenger explosion and Hurricane Katrina, as well as advancements in technology and a preview of what the future may hold.

Course Name: Holocaust Studies

Description: This semester long course is designed to provide students with an intensive study of the Holocaust including the genocide and human rights violations that occurred. The course includes the historic precepts of the Holocaust as well as the gross violation of human rights committed by the Nazis during the “Final Solution”. Students will be provided a greater understanding of the role of perpetrators and bystanders, and read and view first-hand accounts of the victims.

Course Name:  Psychology          

Grade(s):  11          Course Length:  Semester           Credits:  0.5                   Prerequisite:  None    

Description: The course deals with the science of behavior. The student is introduced to the environmental reasons for personal activity by examining the founding theories and methods used by psychologists to categorize and explain behavior. Subject matter will include the processes of sensation and perception, learning and conditioning, personality and methodology.

Course Name:  Sociology         

Grade(s):  11          Course Length:  Semester           Credits:  0.5             Prerequisite:  None    

Description: The course acquaints the student with the basics of human relations. This is accomplished through an examination of what is culture, how the individual absorbs it and relates to it, the purpose of social institutions, and the real problems that arise from the socialization process. Students are encouraged to observe societal activity and make objective evaluations relating to specific aspects of American culture

Course Name:  Economics /Government 12

Grade:   12               Course Length:  1 year               Credits: 1.0                 Prerequisite(s): None

Description:   This course is divided into 4 major parts.  Students will explore a traditional macro/micro analysis approach as an introduction to the course.  The second major section/unit will be an examination of American Business including sole proprietorships, partnerships, and corporations.  This unit will also include a student investment game. The next unit will be a traditional study of the interactions of supply and demand.  The final unit is a study of the Federal Income Tax System including all major tax returns, 1040EZ, and 1040A. Students will explore the origins of government, and our American government in particular.  Emphasis will be placed on our Constitution as the reference point of our federal government. Major constitutional questions will be examined including precedent setting cases of the past and current constitutional controversies.

Course Name: AP Government & Politics/Economics (A.P.; holds a weight of 5.1 towards final GPA)

Grade:   12               Course Length:  1 year               Credits: 1.0                 Prerequisite(s):  At least a ‘B’ average in 11th grade history.

Description: This course will give students the analytical perspective on government politics in the United States. This course includes both the study of general concepts used to interpret U.S. government and politics and the analysis of specific examples. It also requires familiarity with the various institutions, groups, beliefs, and ideas that constitute U.S. government and politics. Students should become acquainted with the variety of theoretical perspectives and explanations for various behaviors and outcomes.

More Electives:

Agriculture Science Electives

Business/Computers Electives 

Fine Arts (Art & Music) Electives

Family/Consumer Sciences (Home Economics) Electives 

Industrial Technology and Engineering Electives

Language Arts Electives

Social Studies Electives 

Foreign Languages Electives

Science Electives

Math Electives 

Physical Education Electives